Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Boost referenced fuel system installed, and functional

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 04:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is the part number of that silver piece you used to hook the return line up to the fuel pump housing? Also if you could give me the # of that 14mm to -6an fitting you used on the block would be great.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

most people do this type of mod to increase the capacity of the fuel system. running through the stock sending unit bs and stock pressure line, you have not done that. that is how you've avoided any modifications to the sending unit.

it also sounds like your regulator is not working correctly, sould be 58 plus every pound of boost.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:14 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by HellRaiser
what is the part number of that silver piece you used to hook the return line up to the fuel pump housing? Also if you could give me the # of that 14mm to -6an fitting you used on the block would be great.
The quick disconnect is available from purechoiceperformance.com (its listed under New Items, LT1/LS1 fuel rail adapters) or from Russell which is always on backorder.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CAT3
The quick disconnect is available from purechoiceperformance.com (its listed under New Items, LT1/LS1 fuel rail adapters) or from Russell which is always on backorder.
Link doesn't work.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.performanceplumbing.com/New_Products.html

this is the right link
Old 06-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Restricted User

ooops. Sorry. IF you order the PN 5800, call and tell them you only need the 3/8", which has a different PN. Or order two 3/8", the other one (PN 5800 is two pieces) is a 5/16" which is not right size for LS1, unless you want to run a new purge line!
Old 06-27-2006, 11:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
most people do this type of mod to increase the capacity of the fuel system. running through the stock sending unit bs and stock pressure line, you have not done that. that is how you've avoided any modifications to the sending unit.

it also sounds like your regulator is not working correctly, sould be 58 plus every pound of boost.
To address the first part: I am not making enough power to justify making a bigger feed system now. Once I'm over 600RWHP or so...then it would be a viable option. What I have done is improved the fuel regulation (bettered that) + allowed for steady fuel pressure under boost. Neither of these factors involve physically increasing the size of the lines, just maintaining constant pressure. The point of this thread is modifying the fuel system to provide enough fuel when running the STS turbo (like mine), not feeding a massive racing engine. Even if I DID want to increase the capacity of the stock feed system, it's not much different. I'd run an 8AN line in place of the stock feed line...and everything else would be the same. Wow, one line different! I could then use either a 8AN/6AN reducer and STILL use the stock sending unit....or then add a bulkhead fitting in the tank and run this to the fuel pump and 8AN feed line. Either way, very little to change for added capacity.

As for part 2.....you must not have read these posts thoroughally. The FPR works wonderfully and now that I have it hooked to a straight up boost source (and not a vacuum/boost source). Vacuum/boost fluctuated the pressure...but that was a mistake in picking the reference source, not a problem with the regulator. Now that things are hooked up to my liking, I have 58PSI at idle and normal driving....and approx 63PSI (that would be 58 + 5PSI boost) at WOT. It doesn't function better than that!
Old 06-27-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i wasnt knocking your set up, sounds like it is doing what you wanted, thats all that matters.

what i am saying is you make it sound like there was some trick that kept you from having to do any modifications to the tank etc. when in reality there is no trick, you just chose to not increase the capacity.

sounds like your regulator is not defective. that is good. i have seen problems with aeromotive units. however it will simplify your tuning if you allow the regulator to see boost and vacuum as it is supposed to.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
i wasnt knocking your set up, sounds like it is doing what you wanted, thats all that matters.

what i am saying is you make it sound like there was some trick that kept you from having to do any modifications to the tank etc. when in reality there is no trick, you just chose to not increase the capacity.

sounds like your regulator is not defective. that is good. i have seen problems with aeromotive units. however it will simplify your tuning if you allow the regulator to see boost and vacuum as it is supposed to.
No offense taken. You're right, there's no "trick" involved in the plumbing....just we've yet to hear of one run that way, so wanted to share this as a viable and cheaper option. A lot of people didn't realize (myself included) that the factory feed line is actually as big as it is (6AN approx). Going to the 8AN will be my choice after installing a new engine, but for many a system that can handle 600HP is more than adequate. Few F-body STS users go beyond that, and even less have addressed the need to run a FPR with boost reference. This was the point....adding a boost reference to keep from starving the injectors under boost. The LTFT's take time to program into the computer and rob HP, and most people dyno their cars right after install. Many might not realize if they're down on HP (like me) till finding out months later. I merely thought I was "getting used to" the turbo power.

For a big front mount, aftermarket shortblock, large nitrous hits, or anything else pushing 600+ then yes, I fully agree that increased capacity and thus new plumbing throughout is necessary.

As for tuning, well....we tried the vacuum and boost reference. CAT3 is pretty good at tuning and we were not having luck when both vacuum and boost were factors. Mainly the vacuum at idle is less then during some part throttle driving and during powered decels. Really screwed with the A/F ratio on those. Taking the vacuum out of the equation made the overall feel of the car and the tuning parameters look better. Now, keep in mind this car is still running the MAF, which is not ideal for tuning FI. After I return from Iraq I'm installing a speed density program via HP tuners. It'll require tons of driving around and logging to perfect that one. Unfortunately I leave in 2 weeks, so time to do this is not a luxury I have. Once I do, I'm guessing I can get a very nice tune with both vacuum and boost referencing the FPR.
The short term goal was to make the car daily driver reliable and safe for the wife (yes, I let a woman drive this thing ) while I'm deployed for the next year+.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

05 gto fuel system...
Old 07-11-2006, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

nice pics,they help me out a bit

Quick Reply: Boost referenced fuel system installed, and functional