Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

More fuel without a pressure regulator to pass smog in California?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question More fuel without a pressure regulator to pass smog in California?

In California you can't smog a car LEGALY with a fuel pressure regulator. I keep seeing cars with pressure regulators on them, and I am trying to find out if there is an alternative to "ditching" the regulator the day you smog the car. I dont know verry muc about fuel delivery so please correct me if I am wrong here. Can you just keep the stock fuel pump and rails on an Lt1 F-body (or any car), and just widen the "pulse width" of the injectors to get more fuel? I have seen people with cam/head combo's run a regulator, I dont know if they have a bigger fuel pump and THATS why they have to run the regulator to step the pressure down before it goes through the rails (to get the pressure to an acceptable level). Would widening the pulse width on the injectors (stock ones or a little bigger) still require a larger in tank pump for more fuel? It seems like if you step up to bigger injectors with the SAME pulse width as the stock ones or close to them you would need a higher volume pump because you are physically needing more fuel in the same amount of time through the injectors. I hope that makes sense....ha ha....
I am just trying to find a way to run an LT1, or gen3 motor with a set of heads and a cam in California and be able to pass a visual. The parts that I would use would have a C.A.R.B EO# of course, but the one thing that I cant see getting around is more fuel....I can always filter out the extra fuel an still pass the sniffer....but the visual is what would kill me.......Thank you for ANY ideas.....paying someone is out of the question for me because you can get pulled over for something as simple as a tail light being out, and land up having to pop the hood to cooperate and avoid a ticket....yeah I know I dont have to if they ask...but I just want to stay as under the radar as much as possible when I am away from the track.....
I looked all over for a thread like this but I havent found anything that deals with this idea....if you know of a thread please point me in the right dirrection, or if you have an idea/solution THANK YOU in advance....
I was talking with some guy I work with who said "just hide it"....I've never heard of a "remote" (away from the fuel rail/firewall) regulator....but there might be some kind of trick "guage" that doubles as a regulator and you can take the screw out and no one would notice. I know that you can have a GUAGE on there....I dont know if that would be smart advertising to the guy who is smoging the car that you are running more fuel into the car.....OH WELL....It's just an idea.....

Old 08-08-2006, 11:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every car has a fuel pressure regulator in one way or another? LT1 cars are right on the fuel rails LS1 cars it is in the tank. Depending on the setup you can adjust alot of fuel in the computer.

Nate

Quick Reply: More fuel without a pressure regulator to pass smog in California?