Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Nasty Fuel Tank Problem!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 02:33 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a small breather filter on the end of my vent hose, should I keep it or remove it? I didn't want anything to get in there.

I have the hose routed up by the fill tube, its pretty high. But I don't have a loop in it, would that help? I'm afraid if it had a loop it would trap gas in it and block off the hose from being a vent.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The breather is fine and yes a loop will definatly help. that is the point of a loop it will catch any fuel in the lower section of the loop and still alow air to enter or exit.

nate
Old 08-22-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Country Boy
The A1000s are not ment for the street.
Wow...where does it say that?
Old 08-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
The breather is fine and yes a loop will definatly help. that is the point of a loop it will catch any fuel in the lower section of the loop and still alow air to enter or exit.

nate

Won't be a vent any more if it traps fuel in the loop. A good example is your sink. Look under it for the gooseneck....once you run fluid through it sewer gas can not come out of your sink basin....
Old 08-22-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Default A couple things...

Originally Posted by trucksleeper
Also I would like to know if anyone has a problem like this I have a aeromotive 1000 and you can drive the car at night and in the winter and have no problems but now that it is summer you can drive around for a while and the fuel pump starts making wierd noises and the car goes extremely lean so I shut the car down for about 10 minutes and crack it back up and the car runs perfect air/fuel. I have no clue really maybe the pump is getting hot I don't know but if anyone knows what is wrong then please tell me.
1. If the system is set up w/ a return, the return line should enter the tank, as far away from the pickup as possible. This helps to cool the pump with cooler fuel.
2. If the system is set up w/ a prefilter, it must be of a sufficient micron size, [40 or larger], to prevent cavitation at the pump inlet. The pump will sound like "marbles in a garbage disposal".[That's the air bubbles imploding in the inlet.]
Boiling points are reduced in a vacuum.[Cavitation exsisting] Some fuels will boil at temps as low as 125/135*F. Ambient and underhood temps well over 100*, can put the fuel close to boiling...

A small tank can aggravate this problem, as the cycle time of the fuel is shorter, as compared to a larger tank.

I'd suggest an Aeromotive pump controller, pt# 16302, to help cool the pump, during extended operation..
Old 08-22-2006, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Nasty N8: I have the tried everywhere with this vent hose know I am running it to the fill neck and that is above the tank and still I can only put 6 to 8 gallons in it each time I fill up. And like I said previously the last time I filled up the car ran out of gas in the driveway I had to go get a couple gallons in a can and still when took it to a gas station to finish filling up the tank only held 6 gallons the gas can was a 2 gallon gas can, and the car probably burned a gallon going to the gas station considering this thing is a gas hog.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:07 AM
9 Second Club

Funny ? I have filled my Nasty Performance tank with 10 gallons all the time and have no issues. I used a big *** K&N filter for the vent and rollover valve with the hose going up towards the inner rear quarter panel. Then just drilled holes in the inner fender for ventaltion. I really need to take pics. I start working on my car this weekend. I know I have said it before but I will get yall some pics I have another Nasty system here in a box waiting to be installed. Maybe I can show how I did the vent on it and nate can start including these like that lol

Last edited by JMBLOWNWS6; 08-23-2006 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:15 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Wow...where does it say that?
I wonder how many of those ******* I have sent back! Because of the same ****.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:30 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I'll try running my hose further/higher if I can. Mine only did it after getting on it, so I have to assume fuel sloshed around somehwere and got into the vent tube. Under normal street driving it doesn't do it, but I still don't have it full yet.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:52 AM
FormerVendor

I don't know man the tank physically holds over 13 gallons volume wise. If the tank is empty and the vent line is not pinched and free of debre it should fill just fine.

Nate
Old 08-23-2006, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

(jmblownws6)please do post some pics it would help alot!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2006, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Nasty N8: How can you say you don't know you designed the tank and it is installed just like everyone elses. So that is all your going to say to help resolve this issue. I hate to put things that way but I have tried everything I can think of and still cannot figure it out.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:33 PM
FormerVendor

Well not being the one to install your tank nor am I there in front of it to diagnos it is a little dificult. Drain the tank completely (do not wait for the car to die running the pump out of fuel you will burn the pump up) with the vent hose routed as high as possible maybe outside the car free of any restrictions (pinches, liquid, mudd...)-fill the tank should accept about 13 gallons. If you notice it coming up the fill tube or pull the return line off at the tank if it flows out of there it is full.

If you have a problem please call I will try and help in any way possible.

Nate
Old 08-24-2006, 05:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've done a few of Nasty's setup's.The fuel gauge sender only reads 6-7 of the gallons used.Our's wouldn't read the first 2-3 gallons.No big deal since we don't want the gas that low anyway's.

Now,on filling it.We can not hold the pump full blast or it pressurizes the tank and shoot's out the filler.We use 1/4 hose as a vent,probly 1/2 would be better. So,when the tank is filling we just keep the pump 1/2 way.Not hard

Also the A1000's suck on the street without a voltage controller.They will overheat easilly without one.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Honestly, the A1000 is the most reliable, quietest pump I have run yet. I have the voltage controller and have run it over a year and a half with absolutely no problems. If I wasn't going for more horsepower, I would have gladly kept the aeromotive. If I ever have a problem with the Magnafuel I just got, I will go back to an aeromotive happily. The vent tube is an on going problem for many people. I for one have been posting about it forever and still haven't been able to get anyone to post pics or give specific parts to buy (rollover valves, filters) so mine still spits gas when I turn or fill up (as much as I can since a complete fill up will block the vent tube with it being lower on the tank than the filler neck...?) Anywho, I have been toying around with the idea of removing the tank and putting a vent on the top of the tank and closing the side one. This way I will actually be able to "fill up" without causing a vacuum and fuel won't shoot all over the place. The two main things that upset me about this system is the vent tube situation and the fact that my tank shows empty when there is 7 gallons left. Hopefully, one day there will be a good fix for these and people will post pics of them and we can all be happy with this system. Until then, carry a bottle of water to rinse off the gas from the side of you car and when the gauge says empty,... just keep on driving.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:55 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted some pics of mine a while back:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...chmentid=71893

The vent is an RCI rollover/vent (-6) I pulled off a fuel cell I had here, plenty of room above the tank. I have an older tank that used the stock type 99 sender and didnt have a vent on the side, plenty of room to put on the top and is a better solution then the side IMO.

I also used a 0-90ohm universal sender setup and reprogrammed the PCM so it reads correctly.

I can put gas in full blast from a gas station, I get 11.5 gallons from complely empty. Tank is OK but lack of baffles makes it pretty useless for me, unless it has 8-9 gallons in it the pump will run dry under hard braking after a pass. I'm in the process of redoing an old speed inc aluminum tank, not as well made as this one but its baffled properly and only holds 7 gallons - more of a drag tank then this one..

Originally Posted by andyws6
Honestly, the A1000 is the most reliable, quietest pump I have run yet. I have the voltage controller and have run it over a year and a half with absolutely no problems. If I wasn't going for more horsepower, I would have gladly kept the aeromotive. If I ever have a problem with the Magnafuel I just got, I will go back to an aeromotive happily. The vent tube is an on going problem for many people. I for one have been posting about it forever and still haven't been able to get anyone to post pics or give specific parts to buy (rollover valves, filters) so mine still spits gas when I turn or fill up (as much as I can since a complete fill up will block the vent tube with it being lower on the tank than the filler neck...?) Anywho, I have been toying around with the idea of removing the tank and putting a vent on the top of the tank and closing the side one. This way I will actually be able to "fill up" without causing a vacuum and fuel won't shoot all over the place. The two main things that upset me about this system is the vent tube situation and the fact that my tank shows empty when there is 7 gallons left. Hopefully, one day there will be a good fix for these and people will post pics of them and we can all be happy with this system. Until then, carry a bottle of water to rinse off the gas from the side of you car and when the gauge says empty,... just keep on driving.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the pic. But since your setup is on the top of the tank and your sending unit works right, you are not having the same problem as us. I wish the vent was on the top of mine and I didn't even think about the baffle thing? You know, I'm not bad mouthing because Nate is a great guy and he has done many things to try and help me out. He is a good sponsor and I would buy from him anytime but I have found myself regreting this fuel system switch ever since I installed it. I really wish I would have gone with a dual in-tank and just kept the plastic tank and that way I wouldn't have vent or fill up issues. Something I still might do if I decide to sell the tank. It's just not working out for me and it's not what I expected.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:26 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not bad mouthing Nate either, its a nice tank and Nate is a good guy but it just isnt what I need. The tank I have has a lot bigger hole so I made a plate to hold the sender and was able to get my hand in there to install the rollover valve. Probbaly a little tough to get your handin there with just the sender hole..

Good news is the magnafuel pump has been working well so far, sucks a lot of current though..

Originally Posted by andyws6
Thanks for the pic. But since your setup is on the top of the tank and your sending unit works right, you are not having the same problem as us. I wish the vent was on the top of mine and I didn't even think about the baffle thing? You know, I'm not bad mouthing because Nate is a great guy and he has done many things to try and help me out. He is a good sponsor and I would buy from him anytime but I have found myself regreting this fuel system switch ever since I installed it. I really wish I would have gone with a dual in-tank and just kept the plastic tank and that way I wouldn't have vent or fill up issues. Something I still might do if I decide to sell the tank. It's just not working out for me and it's not what I expected.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:24 AM
On The Tree

The pump problem I think it needs a aeromotive as for the tank I have no clue on that.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:46 PM
8 Second Club

Have any of these issues been fixed with the tanks since 2006?

Quick Reply: Nasty Fuel Tank Problem!!!!!