Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

problems with aeromotive 1000

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im surpised no one else including Nate has caught this...

When did a 2000 model F-body come with a return fuel line folks?

Here lies his problem. Im almost sure of it. Theres a check valve on the connection at the assembly that drops into the tanks. If its not taken out or drilled out and replaced with a different fitting his return is not returning and therefore the fuel cavitates and vapor locks the pump...its not getting circulation, and therefore hes not seeing the volume he should and his AF is suffering as well.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

V6 Bird: I am not sure that I follow what you are saying I think if I remember correctly there is a check valve on the stock tank but he does not have a stock tank, I guess I am confused about where this check valve is.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by trucksleeper
V6 Bird: I am not sure that I follow what you are saying I think if I remember correctly there is a check valve on the stock tank but he does not have a stock tank, I guess I am confused about where this check valve is.
I believe the stock assembly drops into the Nasty Tanks. The check ball is on top of the stock unit. Does that help?
Old 09-26-2006, 10:10 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
I believe the stock assembly drops into the Nasty Tanks. The check ball is on top of the stock unit. Does that help?
The stock assembly does not drop into the nasty tanks. The pics on Nates site are for the old setup. It comes with a custom sender from behind bars race cars that taps into the stock harness for the fuel gauge. With this sender and the design of the tank you will have to put @ the min 6 gallons before your stock gauge on the cluster will read. Owner of a nasty performance fuel system
Old 09-26-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
The stock assembly does not drop into the nasty tanks. The pics on Nates site are for the old setup. It comes with a custom sender from behind bars race cars that taps into the stock harness for the fuel gauge. With this sender and the design of the tank you will have to put @ the min 6 gallons before your stock gauge on the cluster will read. Owner of a nasty performance fuel system
im not sure what version Ed has...either way, 2000 F-bodys didnt come with return style systems. Hes trying to run the fuel back through his un modified evap line
Old 09-26-2006, 11:52 AM
9 Second Club

im not sure what version Ed has...either way, 2000 F-bodys didnt come with return style systems. Hes trying to run the fuel back through his un modified evap line
Oh yea werd on that! For sure!
Old 09-26-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Oh yea werd on that! For sure!
im really sure about this and I feel this is why he's not getting far when the car dies and/or loses fuel pressure on the dyno too.

Ive suggested and brainstormed enough in this thread that I feel we are really on to something with this last thought and im waiting on Ed to get back with me when he gets time to look over this.

I nominate myself as fueling and injection moderator..Someone who knows..lol jk
Old 09-26-2006, 11:59 AM
9 Second Club

im really sure about this and I feel this is why he's not getting far when the car dies and/or loses fuel pressure on the dyno too.

Ive suggested and brainstormed enough in this thread that I feel we are really on to something with this last thought and im waiting on Ed to get back with me when he gets time to look over this.
Ill acutally read the thread and give my .02 Give me 5 mins
Old 09-26-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ill acutally read the thread and give my .02 Give me 5 mins
Ill give you an hour.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:21 PM
9 Second Club

Wow I read it all and here is what I did with a boosted car. It sounds like he has the same problems as we did. But there is some DAM GOOD INFO in this thread!

I have read thru the BS and the good posts. I am 100% sure you dont need a -10 an feedline. There is no doubt about it. The -8 will provide you with plenty of fuel. I pushed the limits of a A100 to 685 rwhp and it couldnt hold up to the task anymore. This was not on my car but another car that has the same blower setup as I do. Now that being said I deal with pumps on a daily basis. I have tapped a plastic tank and added the a1000 to support the cars hp rating. This car went everywhere. You could drive the car for extended periods of time and never have to worry about cavitation or vapor locking the pump. Some of the key factors we did. 1. We made the stock tank its own vent. 2. We capped off the T and used the old stock line as a return and got rid of the check valve. Simple and quick. Now for the bad part. After about 2000 + miles the pump started to get noisy. Fuel pressure would fall under load and the AFR would suffer. I figured that the fuel filter had plugged up. It wasnt the case. The pump was getting hot no matter how much gas we had in the tank. Sent the a1000 in for a rebuild(Warranty) and it came back and did the same thing So then I thought it was a bad rebuild. Well they sent it back to us and it was a bad rebuild after all. After reading all of this I would honestly blame the pump and not anything else. I also went thru a similar situation with my weldon and switched to the magnafuel 4303 and problems were solved. Just my .02 without getting into a argument.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Ed has the new style nasty tank we used the factory stainless steel line for a return line the line is straight threw no check valve or anything. V6 Bird: If one side is robbing all the fuel would it not me that the pump is maxed out cause the factory has a crossover tube in it. Also when Ed called aeromotive last week they told him that some of the pumps last year had problems with them and they said for him to tell them the code on the back of the pump once he pulled it off. I just thought about something Ed has the TSP True Dual setup on his car when we installed his AFR gauge we put it on the left side pipe the fuel feed line comes in to the rails on the right side, that is just a crazy thought I had but it may have nothing to do with the problem.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ed has the new style nasty tank we used the factory stainless steel line for a return line the line is straight threw no check valve or anything. V6 Bird: If one side is robbing all the fuel would it not me that the pump is maxed out cause the factory has a crossover tube in it. Also when Ed called aeromotive last week they told him that some of the pumps last year had problems with them and they said for him to tell them the code on the back of the pump once he pulled it off. I just thought about something Ed has the TSP True Dual setup on his car when we installed his AFR gauge we put it on the left side pipe the fuel feed line comes in to the rails on the right side, that is just a crazy thought I had but it may have nothing to do with the problem.
Take pics of everything under the car. Sure the pump could be bad. But you should really check out Aeromotive's page and run the setups like they describe they should be run. You cheaped out on 60 bucks or so of return line setup and are having these issues now. Not saying its not a bad pump still either, but ive never had any issues running fuel setups like ive seen on the manufactures site.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

The fuel system is setup one of the ways that aeromotive says to do so. The thing that I find weird is that the fuel system and everything worked great all winter and now it went to ****.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

The fuel system is setup one of the ways that aeromotive says to do so. The thing that I find weird is that the fuel system and everything worked great all winter and now it went to ****.
I dont see how that setup is described to look ANYthing like this...

http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/images/diagram_13.gif

You arent using a new return line, youre using a stock line to return with. The setup doesnt split off to each rails it goes in one and crosses over. Not that there is anything wrong with it the way it has the crossover now from the pics ive seen, but there are better ways and options for high forced induction needs. I think the pump really could be bad, the location could be better and the return line needs to be dedicated and new personally. Everyone of there tech pictures suggests a y-block. Only the import Tsunami setup doesnt. Thats because it only has one rail
Old 09-28-2006, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

V6 bird seems to be the smartest guy on this thread. I say this because he did his home work and advised you to follow the manufactures recommendations. Manufactures do this to head off problems before they start.

JMBlownWS6, you stated that the -8AN feed is fine but when you check out aeromotive's website or call their techline, they recommend a -10AN. So you have advised trucksleeper to go against Aeromotive's recommendations. With this being said, any problems that may arise could be a result in going against the manufactures recommendations.

Quick Reply: problems with aeromotive 1000