Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

My sheetmetal gas tank fills like it has vapor lock

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did'nt think I could fill her all the way initially..... only abouit 3/4 or half..... then I started filling real slow and she would fill all the way. I need the roll-over check so she dosen't spew when I turn, but the filling aspect is still an issue. I have 3/8 hose wrapped around the filler neck routed to the top of the fuel fill port for my vent, but it dosent seem to work... any help appreciated.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:56 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,167 Likes on 759 Posts

I have to slow fill my tank, or it backs up. Any pics would be great. Or you can email to me at john@ls1tech.com and I will host them.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is what i did but it seems as though its not good enough for some, but the way i see it: does not leak when turning tight right turns or up hill. i can fill it full blast at the pump and no spill either

https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-injection/568066-nastyperformance-fuel-tank-vapor-hose-leak-fixed.html
Old 10-14-2006, 07:57 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by SVC707
this is what i did but it seems as though its not good enough for some, but the way i see it: does not leak when turning tight right turns or up hill. i can fill it full blast at the pump and no spill either

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568066
Something has to be wrong if gas makes it that far up the vent, I would probably try not to squeeze so much fuel in. If the vent hose is filling with fuel its not a very good vent
Old 10-14-2006, 08:15 AM
9 Second Club

Mine is nothing special. I can tell you right now it has a K&N filter at the top extactly like the one for you air system whit a aftermarket lid. Then I just ran the hose in a loop like slowhawk told me he did on evils car. The filter is tucked in the inner fender right above the filler neck. And I drilled holes in the inner fender plastic so air could get in there
Old 10-14-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kp
Something has to be wrong if gas makes it that far up the vent, I would probably try not to squeeze so much fuel in. If the vent hose is filling with fuel its not a very good vent
correct its not a very good "vent" as you can see its on the side of the tank next to the filler neck. but we do what we can to make things work so we dont have to worry about it while driving. for me being on the side sucks since i drive my car on twisty windy roads for fun: up hill, down hill, left and right; tight turns, longer sweepers. and it used to spill out the side of my tank to where i can smell it on each turn. but now..... no spills no issues

btw in the other thread it says that ive tried looping the hose and that didnt work after a few right hand turns itll still come, but i didnt run the hose that high
Old 10-14-2006, 10:21 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,167 Likes on 759 Posts

Great info.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:20 PM

i think we had this problem on NOYZEEs car a few years ago and i think he just took a piece of alum tubing and stuck it down the filler neck making another vent which solved the problem, if i remember correctly
Old 10-16-2006, 02:38 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by thechef
i think we had this problem on NOYZEEs car a few years ago and i think he just took a piece of alum tubing and stuck it down the filler neck making another vent which solved the problem, if i remember correctly
That would work but the filler tubes from the 99+ cars these tanks use neck down pretty small where they attach to the rubber hose. But some 3/8 aluminum tubing stuck in there at the highest point on the inside of the tank and above the unleaded restrictor would guarantee a full blast fillup - but it wouldnt do anything for the actual venting while driving unless you had a vented cap which isnt ideal for a race car.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:12 PM
9 Second Club

Posted the pics in the other thread