Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Boost Referenced FPR on Stock Fuel System?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 06:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost Referenced FPR on Stock Fuel System?

Do I need to go to a return style setup to use one, or does someone make one for the stock returnless system? Searched but still confused.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

It is possible to install a boost referenced regulator into the stock system but understand why you are wanting to do this. Volume will drop as pressure increases as higher pressure slows down the pump.

You would need to remove the intank regulator and place the aftermarket unit in the line recirculating from the fuel filter back to the tank. The reference line would need to be large dia and reliable. .250" nylon air line would be a good choice.

The PCM would need to be reprogrammed to accommodate the fluctuating fuel pressure. Pressure would be lower under vacuum unless a check valve was installed with a T that bled of vacuum and only allowed boost to reach the regulator.

Adjustments would be made under the rear of the car which isn't very convenient.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

So I can run a boost referenced FPR as long as I remove the in-tank regulator?
I'm getting dyno tuned so that will take care of the PCM.

I need to go this route for FI, but I do not want to go to a full return type fuel system.

What would be the benefit of going a full return style system? Fuel flow?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Full return style system with the return at the rails will benefit from reduced fuel pressure drop since pressure would be regulated after the demand is met instead of introducing 15 feet of plumbing after the regualtor and then running to the rails which are dead headed. Its also possible that fuel delivery will be more balanced between injectors since the rails will then have circulation.

FWIW most LS1's with 10# or less boost don't have a referenced regualtor. 10# bring arbitrary as I'm sure there are people running more boost without modifications.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:31 PM
12 Second Club

Thank you for the info. I'm not planning on going to 10#, so I guess fuel pump, injectors and tune will suit my needs.