Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

walbro 255 direct fit fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that is a long time. Everything else I've read has had all positive feedback from them. Thanks for the info though. Personally, I'm in Iraq so they could take another 5 months and it wouldn't affect me, but if I were back home it wouldn't be acceptable. Maybe on a GP with a lead of how many orders are coming they would be more pro-active for fear of more negative feeback. I think it's worth looking into to save $40+ as long as it's a quality kit. Did you ever find out the reason and get compensated for the delay?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No compensation. The delay was supposed to be the holidays, but it ended up being another month after New Year's, so I dunno. I'm in no way bashing them. Just stating the facts.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:18 AM
FormerVendor

N4cer you are correct, we ran out of one of the connectors for the harness and it took them 4 weeeks to ship it to us, it was really out of our hands. Hot wire kits are now in stock, in quanity, and there are no delays. I appreciate the professional tone of your post. That is just too long to wait I agree. If I can do something to make it up to you say the word.
Mike
Old 02-19-2007, 09:23 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for clearing that up Mike, it helps my decision anyway and reflects well on your customer service.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:11 AM
10 Second Club

I agree. Just the offer of making it right is enough. Thanks Mike.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001z
make sure you get a hot wire kit or this all for nothing !
do you really need this kit? I thought it included everything thats why its called a direct fit kit? maybe I wrong ,sponsors any info on this?
Old 02-19-2007, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by trans2000am
do you really need this kit? I thought it included everything thats why its called a direct fit kit? maybe I wrong ,sponsors any info on this?
the direct fit pump is from the tank in. you still need additional voltage from the alternator back to the tank where the pump wiring begins if you want to have the pump function to its full potential.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Research putting more voltage to the pump on it's own merits. As far as the pump is concerned, if yours is on the way out and you need a pump, you will operate as normal without the hotwire deal. I didn't use one and my car runs fine. I don't know about what will happen if/when I start demanding more fuel, but make sure you know the potential downsides of bumping voltage as well.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:45 PM
10 Second Club

Whoa, this might be good info since I'm about to do the wiring/pump upgrade. What downsides are you saying you've seen from this?
Old 02-19-2007, 01:48 PM
FormerVendor

1 volt of votage drop at the back of the car = about a 20% reduction in pump output. Voltage is very important to this type of pump
Mike
Old 02-19-2007, 01:57 PM
FormerVendor

Just to add. Increasing voltage to over 13.8 by using a booster type device will for sure lower the life of the pump. The hot wire kit is to stop the voltage drop that happens with the stock wire harness when the extra load from the new pump is added. Low voltage willl actually kill the pump faster than high voltage will according to Walbro
Mike
Old 02-19-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for posting the official tech on this Mike. I did not feel it was my place. I will post all day long how well this pump I got from you works though.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

so you do need the hot wire kit? for say a boost application.why dont they tell you this things,oh well guess thats another 100 bucks on parts i didnt think i needed.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Teching In

No one told me at Speed Inc. either when I bought mine. Had the exhaust out too, and just put the tank back in and installed the catback.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

no one mentioned this to me either when i bought this same pump.
don't you guys think this is important? I mean we are trusting you guys with our cars.
you tell us you have a high volume pump but then you skip the fact that it needs this hot wire kit to function at full capacity?
Does that make any sense?
Old 02-19-2007, 06:29 PM
10 Second Club

What are you guys talking about? It's commonly accepted that to get the most from an aftermarket fuel pump you need to upgrade the wiring. Just like if you go higher hp, you need more fuel system. Same thing. You want to put out more power, you need more coming in.

This is not new information. And it's not any company's job to make sure you understand basics like this. Actually their fuel pump has more stuff with it than any other fuel pump. So where's the problem?

It works fine just the way it is. Please understand simple English: You DO NOT NEED the wiring harness for the fuel pump to work. So NO, you don't NEED it. But you need it if you want the pump to function at its best, last the longest it can, and to get your best dollar's worth out of it. Or you can make your own wiring upgrade for half the price, but it'll not look as good nor be as easy to install.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by N4cer
You DO NOT NEED the wiring harness for the fuel pump to work. So NO, you don't NEED it. But you need it if you want the pump to function at its best, last the longest it can, and to get your best dollar's worth out of it. Or you can make your own wiring upgrade for half the price, but it'll not look as good nor be as easy to install.
What he said. Many other components/electrical systems also don't get their optimal voltage due to line loss, including the problematic power window motors. It's not a major concern, the wiring upgrade isn't very expensive. I work with electronics all day, but the plug and play feature of the upgrade is worth it's weight in gold... time=money.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by N4cer
What are you guys talking about? It's commonly accepted that to get the most from an aftermarket fuel pump you need to upgrade the wiring. Just like if you go higher hp, you need more fuel system. Same thing. You want to put out more power, you need more coming in.

This is not new information. And it's not any company's job to make sure you understand basics like this. Actually their fuel pump has more stuff with it than any other fuel pump. So where's the problem?

It works fine just the way it is. Please understand simple English: You DO NOT NEED the wiring harness for the fuel pump to work. So NO, you don't NEED it. But you need it if you want the pump to function at its best, last the longest it can, and to get your best dollar's worth out of it. Or you can make your own wiring upgrade for half the price, but it'll not look as good nor be as easy to install.
Uh, commonly accepted how, exactly.
This little fact about the hotwire kit isn't mentioned anywhere except by word of mouth here on ls-1 tech.
A commonly accepted fact for me at least, simple minded person that I am, is knowing you should run colder plugs for nitrous.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:53 AM
10 Second Club

I actually knew about it from my local F-body owning friends who have already modded their cars. Not from here. But if you read around the fueling section here, you'll see it also. Haven't you noticed you hear the word "Racetronix" a lot? Well, this is why. The wiring.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

who sells the hotwire kit speedinc's 140 dollar price tag,is a little high

Quick Reply: walbro 255 direct fit fuel pump?