Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Can't maintain fuel pressure at WOT or turning right?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't maintain fuel pressure at WOT or turning right?

For some reason, when I go to WOT (or close to), my fuel pressure drops by 10-15 lbs. Also when turning right with less than 1/2 tank of gas, it drops more significantly, 20-25 lbs. This has been an issue since a local shop tried to resolve a general lack of pressure (caused by the hose popping off the pump) and somehow they messed something else up. The hose is on the pump very well, and it's not crimped at all. There is a fuel pressure regulator on the car but we tried disconnecting the vacuum and had the same problem. Anyone have any ideas? I hate to throw parts at it. I was thinking about trying a new fuel pump, but it seems like the pump would either work or not work, and why would right turns make a difference?

TIA
Old 02-06-2003, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Can't maintain fuel pressure at WOT or turning right?

forced induction?

is the regulator stock or aftermarket?

im guessing aftermarket.. maybe its hooked up wrong or bad. its either that or the pump is bad.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can't maintain fuel pressure at WOT or turning right?

Well Sean figured it out. Apparently the last time I had a fuel problem, the guy working on it for me bent the metal bracket that the pump and lines attach to. Due to that, when the assembly was placed in the tank, it was too far to the right to sit in the bowl in teh center, so it was just loose in the tank, on the right side. That's why it lost pressure on right turns...all the gas was on the other side of the tank and was not covering the pickup. Live and learn!