Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regulator

Hi,

I'm planning to move my regulator to my fuel rails in the near future. I plan on putting a supercharger on. I come from a mustang background, and after thinking about the differences in the return vs the returnless system, I've decided it's the way to go.

Anyhow, I was looking for a used set of rails off a late model 'vette and I saw what appears to be the regulator on the crossover tube between the fuel rails (hard to tell, the vette was in a fire). Is that the regulator on the corvette?

We have a similar looking device on our (f-body) rails. It appears that GM used the same rails for corvettes and f-bodies, but just didn't put a vacuum barb in the f-body rails.

I asked a friend of mine and he told me it was a "pulse dampner". I'm actually not sure if he's serious or joking, because that's exactly what a regulator would do if you stuck it inline with a pre-regulated stream.

Any thoughts on whether I can just remove the in tank regulator and let it regulate up front?

Has anybody (with a fuel pressure gauge) tried removing the intank regulator without adding another? What'd the gauge say?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 04-05-2003, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Regulator

It is a pulse damper on the rail on the 98 and up f-body and I believe 99 and up vettes (97 vet had a regulator that compensated for vacuum, not sure on 98). The forced induction guys drill out (shell out) the pulse damper on the rail becuase its to much of restriction and screws up the pressure balance between banks. If you remove the pressure regulator from the tank, you will see a really high pressure at the fuel rail.

Gary
Old 04-05-2003, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

Ok, that's making a little more sense. Where is the fuel pressure regulator on '97 vettes?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 04-06-2003, 01:30 PM
TECH Veteran

On the 97/98 vettes, the regulator is up on the fuel rail (where the later vettes and f-body pulse damper is). You cant just put a regulator on the f-body or 99-up vettes, they don't have a return line from the engine.

I converted my 01 Z28 to the 97/98 vette fuel rail last summer by making my EVAP line (the line next to the fuel) as my return line and then plugging the factory return line (cut, crimp, and brazed the line closed). The fuel still goes back in the factory return port on the fuel tank, but I gutted the regulator so there are no internals (so the fuel would still dumps in the "pump tub"). Now I can adjust the fuel pressure up on the engine and if I ever go to a Supercharger, I'm all set for boost enrichment.

Chris
Old 09-08-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

i know this is digging, but you gotta give me credit for searching

how has this setup worked for you? im wondering about doing this my self, but still need some clearification on how to do it.

Quick Reply: Regulator