Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Need help with sugar in my tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with sugar in my tank

I was a victom of a stupid joke early sunday morning. Someone put sugar in my tank. I filled the tank up the tank since then, put octane booster and gas treatment to help dilute the sugar. I'm going to drop my tank and change my fuel pump strainer/filter and the in line fuel filter under my car. Is there anything else I need to do or worry about. Your comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-15-2003, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Need help with sugar in my tank

hey man, whats up? that sucks.. i know a guy in my area that has claimed to do that on occasion.. where were you when this happened and **** off anybody named charles??

what were the symptoms or did you catch it before you ran it?

about all you can do is rinse the tank and change the fuel filters.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

That is horrible! Unfortunately (and I am not a chemist), I think it is reasonible to assume the sugar would dissolve readily in the gasoline on a molecular level which no filter could impede. I would say drop the tank and flush it out, unless somehow you know a VERY marginal amount of sugar was addeded to the tank (what the f is a marginal level? Well I have know idea, but to me I would say a 1/4 cup or more would exceed that threshold).
Good luck,
Old 04-17-2003, 01:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Sugar is about the worst thing that could possibly be put in your gas tank!

...this was used in the war to stop enemy tanks, plains, etc.....unfortunately it works very well!

Do not run the engine - drain the tank IMMEDIATELY...change the fuel filter...and hope for the best..

how did you come to know sugar was put in your tank??
Old 04-17-2003, 08:35 PM
wrencher

Had this problem come into my shop b-4 more than once. The aftermath is usually fun to diagnois.(not Knowing sugar is involved) On a carbed car it would getinto the combustion chamber & start tearing the motor apart. On fuel injected cars, it tends to clog up every filter & straining device in the fuel system. That includes the sock/strainer at the fuel pump, then the fuel filter itself & then the inlet screen/strainers of each individual injector itself.Get all the gas out of tank asap. The amount of damage is dependant upon the amount of sugar. It's up to you how you deal with it. If you start see'n high pulse widths/ &high ltft/stft the screens might be clogged up. Have had to send sets of injectors out to get cleaned & flow checked off car $$$. good luck
Old 04-17-2003, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

You are in for alot of work man!! This happened to my G/F's 91 Z and it wasnt fun. You are going to have to change the injectors(unless you want to have them sent out, takin apart and cleaned) fuel pump,fuel filter,clean out your fuel rails with steaming hot water then blow them out with compressed air a few times, same with you're fuel lines. The fuel Pressure regulator might have to be replaced or just really cleaned out with hot water and blown out depending on how bad it is. After you have it takin apart if there is alot of white build up or corrosion in the fuel rail it would be best to replace it. Of course change your oil, filter after the work is complete due to there might be some gas in the oil. Also change your plugs. I would highly suggest that you have you're gas tank sent out and boiled if it is metal. Otherwise go find a tank at a junkyard.( That's what I did and got one for $50) I would'nt worry about any damage to the motor since the sugar will dicinigrate due to the heat. Take you're time and don't rush otherwise you might miss something and have to it all over again. If you miss one thing it will start all over again. If you have any questions shoot me an E-Mail at PLYBOY1917@aol.com Good Luck. If I missed something please add in to my comment. I almost forgot do not use water to try and clean out the tank since sugar will hide in places and stick everywhere. You have to use a abrasive chemical to get all that sugar out and disolve what is left. I would have a shop do it myself just to be on the safe side.

<small>[ April 17, 2003, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: blown 346 ]</small>
Old 04-19-2003, 08:12 PM
Teching In

steam cleaning the tank would probably be best!