Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Walbro is bullshit...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Walbro is bullshit...

Hey guys, I tried to dyno my car on a 100 shot a while back and it was spiking lean. So the guy that was doing the work on my car at the time recommended I get a walbro 255. I took his advice and went ahead and had it installed. Well today I took the car back to the shop to get it tuned and guess what, it was worse than before. My car is cam only on a 150 NX kit, so it's not like I need insane amounts of fuel. The shop wants to install a Vortech T-Rex inline pump, but it just seems to me like for my set-up a good fuel pump should do the job. Man I hate wasting my damn money and it looks like I just droped cost of the pump and install down the damn drain. What do you guys think I should do? I know everybody here likes the racetronix but the guys over at G-Force said it would be be safer to just add the T-rex Inline that way I will be covered and then some.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is there really a town called screwston? I live over by G-Force. They took the pics of their vette at my high school.

G-force makes some fast cars. I would stick with there setup and give me the Walboro.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

walbro sucks. ive gone through 2 of them before i started researching them. apparently if you run walbros less than half a tank a few times the pump will burn up. i put my stocker back in for time constrants but im definately going to get a racetronix.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

racetronix uses the walbro pump as well

Ryan
Old 08-03-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

umm.

if you were spraying a 150 shot on a cammed motor WITHOUT a walbro or some other pump... you were doing something stupid to begin with. LOL (no offence.. but you NEEDED a new pump)

that said, why dont you monitor the fuel pressure on the dyno when the nitrous spikes lean? see if theres a dip or not.

a walbro should keep up with that.. i mean, it does for alot of people on here... a second boost pump is way overkill.

as for the idiot above talking about the tank and reliability thing.. these are also OEM pumps for alot of manufacturers.. they're as good as intank pumps get.. they have a low failure rate, and of that small failure rate, a huge percentage of them is installer error.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slow

Ryan
Yep.

I plan on a 100 dry shot on my H/C combo later, but I'm gonna use my stock pump as long as it's in good shape with a Walbro in-line outside the tank & 36# injectors.

I already got the pump & injectors.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
umm.

monitor the fuel pressure.

.. these are also OEM pumps.

yes!

the stock regulator has a hard enough time keeping up with a gradual increase up to 300horse, let alone another instant 150 on top of that.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

AND...the title of this thread is totally unfounded. thousands and thousands of people have very successful walbro components.

dont blame walbro for your mis-diagnosis

if you put the pump in the wrong place in the tank, they will all burn up
Old 08-03-2007, 03:22 PM
TECH Veteran

The walbro can easily be installed incorrectly and most shops will not stop to actually read the install sheet. This is why they 'fail' so quickly for some while others have had theirs for years. There are a few variables for install like M6 or auto, LT1 or LS etc to make sure its installed proper and works before leaving the shop.

If you are having Gforce do the work now then go with what they offered, the alternative is to go back to who you had install the walbro first if it wasn't Gforce and make sure they actually installed it correctly the first time.

x2 on needing a new pump with the set up you have from the start. You were bound to fry the stocker pump.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Restricted User

what about the Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump? How well would that work with a 150 shot?
Old 08-03-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slow

Ryan
Pay attention to this. The Racetronix kit maintains the same function for the fuel bucket so your pump stays submerged. You get the best of both worlds with a higher volume pump and the advantage of a factory set-up. Go to the Racetronix web page and read what they have to say.

One thing to keep in mind regarding an upgraded fuel delivery. The original pump has a check valve that holds pressure when the ignition has been turned off. It isn't a big deal under almost all circumstances but aftermarket fuel pumps do not have that check valve. When the key is off the pressure goes to zero. If you had kept your factory pump and added a second inline then you would have the additional volume plus the check valve feature.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
umm.

as for the idiot above talking about the tank and reliability thing.. these are also OEM pumps for alot of manufacturers.. they're as good as intank pumps get.. they have a low failure rate, and of that small failure rate, a huge percentage of them is installer error.
wow there is no need for name calling. and as far as installer error... not possible. i was just simply stating what ive been told,have read online, and personally experienced. so being that i have to burnt walbro's 255 and 1 stocker still pumping hard after 60k? i dont want this to turn into an online arguement but watch who you call names because down the road you may need there help.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 92slowmaro
wow there is no need for name calling. and as far as installer error... not possible. i was just simply stating what ive been told,have read online, and personally experienced. so being that i have to burnt walbro's 255 and 1 stocker still pumping hard after 60k? i dont want this to turn into an online arguement but watch who you call names because down the road you may need there help.

well first let me say sorry about saying idiot... but i call off the eye-dee-ten-tee error all the time.. nothing personal.it just comes out when i hear something i consider silly.

as far installer error... TOTALLY possible. after all you fail TWO. most of us fail NONE. obviously something is up.

and my final point was, that stocker.. that GM pump.. that ACDELCO sitting on the shelf... was most likely made by walbro. walbros quality control is so high that they are an OEM pump supplier.. not REPLACEMENT, but actual, from the factory cars, have walbro pumps in them... they are not the 255lph pumps we replace, but they are similar.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:21 PM
10 Second Club

I'm still running a stock pump with 36# injectors. I don't have any problems getting 11:1 afr on a 125 shot.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:38 PM
10 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
if you put the pump in the wrong place in the tank, they will all burn up
I don't see how it's possible to install the pump in the wrong place in the tank. He is talking about a 98 with a metal tank, which is different than the 99-up with the plastic tank.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

I've had two Walbros (a 190 and a 255) in non-LS1 cars and they held up perfectly.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
I don't see how it's possible to install the pump in the wrong place in the tank. He is talking about a 98 with a metal tank, which is different than the 99-up with the plastic tank.

lots of people go into the install unprepared and try to use the short pieced of fuel hose that comes with the walbro, leaving the pump higher on the bracket than the factory position.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Weve been 9.7s on a single Walbro...
Old 08-06-2007, 04:25 AM
TECH Addict

Don't know about the 98 cars, but on the 2000 with plastic tank - the Racetronix or FullThrottle pumps are designed to incorporate ALL the features of the factory pump (including jet pump feature) and install exactly as stock pump did in fuel bucket, but using much better Walbro Geroter pump. (allthough the FullThrottle pump will require a sleeve to be made similar to the Racetronix pump in order to fit tight in the factory bucket).

Install is not hard if you follow the instructions to the 't' - most problems rear their ugly head from improper installation of the corrugated hose from pump to fuel bucket - or trying to replace this hose with a rubber version that is not rated for submerged FI applications.

I constantly run my fuel tank/Walbro down till the check gages light comes on for fuel level without any problems.

It is true that the Walbro does not have the check valve that the stock vane pump has - so your pressure at rails will eventually drop to zero instead of holding at pump pressure indefinitely after the car is off. Haven't seen this to be of any consequence at all - car still fires up on first twist of the key.

Might actually be a good thing to not hold 62psi thruout the entire system, and against the injectors, while the car is off and setting for extended periods.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

First, walbro supplies the world with pumps. They are by far the largest manufacturer of pumps. If you contact walbro directly, they will be happy to sell to you as long as you can use 100,000 a month.

Second, saying you have a 255 walbro is like saying you have a red camaro. It could be a 3400, a 3800, lt1, ls1, etc....there are many many 255 pumps.
If you have had two pumps fail, your one incredibily lucky person, you probably have a better chance at getting struck by lightening and winning the lottery at the same while they annouce Osama has been found.

10.20 @ 133 on a single walbro .....

Quick Reply: Walbro is bullshit...