Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

LS1 swap/return system questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 swap/return system questions

Hello guys,

I have an ls1 in my 1963 nova and I had a quick question regarding the fuel system. Does it matter which direction fuel flows through the fuel rail? The stock flow was from the drivers to the passengers side if I remember correctly.

I now have some billet fuel rails and I am running a return style system. Does it matter if the fuel enters a specific side and leaves on a specific side? Thanks!!!

Jamin
Old 08-13-2007, 08:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hooked in series, it does not matter which direction you run them in.

If you are at a very high HP level (say over 1000hp), then you should run them in parallel.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:31 AM
12 Second Club

Couldn't they be run in parallel if he wanted to. I have mine hooked in a series just because it was easier to plumb that way.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Launching!

Thank you goes to Lonnie who replied to my post and answered my questions through pm. Its guys like that on this board who make it a great place to be and to learn.

Hotrod-

Thank you for your post as well. I believe I could run them in parallel but for my application in series is going to work better for me as well. Less plumbing and a cleaner install is what I am after.

I am going to run my feed line to a regulator, my bypass line to the bottome of the regulator, and my feed line from the regulator to one end of the rail, obviously the cross over will feed the other rail. Cap it all off on the other end and I have my fuel system all plumbed up.

Thanks for everyones help!!!!

Jamin
Old 08-15-2007, 04:18 PM
12 Second Club

That will work. This is how I did mine: line from pump to fuel rails in series, then to regulator with bypass out the bottom. The thing I like about the way I routed mine is that I have the other side of the regulator available to install a pressure sending unit in the future for an electric Autometer gauge inside the car. I already have a small mechanical gauge on the rail, but I want one in the car and this way I wont have the sending unit catching any attention.

Edit: The way you described it you could actually do the same thing, just at the back of the last fuel rail and it would still be hidden.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are running series configuration, I suggest you hook the feed directly to 1 rail, then cross over to the other rail at the opposite end & lastly put the regulator on the end of the other rail with a return from there. This will keep continuous flow through the rails.... I do not like the dead headed rail setups where the feed & return go to the regulator first becuase the only flow at the rails is what is actually used to feed the engine.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:53 PM
12 Second Club

Lonnie - I agree and disagree. The way you just describe is how i have mine run and for now it will be staying that way. I believe the way Jamin described is fine up to a certain power level. If the LS7 fuel system is designed that way then most LSX fuel systems can surely work well with that type of system. My next system will most likely have the regulator right after the pump as that is not the only benefit to that design.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:38 AM
Launching!

Everyones knowledge in these forums always surprises me. I can only hope to have the experience and knowlege someday!

So for a car that might make 500 rwhp in the next few years what would you guys reccomend? I am the do it once and do it right sort of guy!

thanks again for everyones help.

-Jamin