Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Why walbro fuel pump isn't for everyone.. Install warning..

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Why walbro fuel pump isn't for everyone.. Install warning..

Rodent, good pics.

I have both tanks and setups in my warehouse, the 98 style definately sits farther back then the 99+.

The thing about just sitting the pump in the old sock is the pickup is still almost an inch off of the tank floor.

I know exactly what your talking about the fuel pressure issues when not drilling out the bottom too. I tried severeal options, and the best one for me was to just extend the pump right through the bottom of the whole assembly (still in the rubber sock too).
From these pics, it looks like the 99 and newer cars sit further back-
1999 and up:

http://www.off-road.com/~sspickler/p.../tankpanel.jpg

1998:

http://gmurphy1.home.attbi.com/camaro/fpump3.jpg

When you extend the pump all the way through the housing, you lose the anti-fuel sloshing ability of the housing. I drilled just enough holes in the bottom side of the housing to allow fuel to enter but I figure fuel wouldn't escape much when running sharp corners or hard acceleration at the track. I had no problems when my tank was just about empty at the 1/4 mile track.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:43 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The 99+ assembly goes straight down where as the 98 assembly has a long arm that bends toward the back of the tank. It sits all the way back there.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

mine has been in the tank for 1.5+ years. It don't like going <1/8 tank either

Old 06-24-2003, 01:40 PM
Restricted User

Changed mine out and there WAS a LOT of sediment in the tank, as well as the both stock fuel socks. I had cleaned the hell outta the entire area before beginging so I know it wasn't me. But, I haven't experienced any FP drop or waiver and I normally race between 1/8th and 1/4 tank, leaving the track after the night with bout an 8th, maybe a little less. But, I do agree that there is the ability of the pump to fail under those circimstances.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have an 02 hawk. The cut the hole in the bottom for the sock and the hole in the side to allow fuel in to cool the pump. Seems to work fine so far. I see 61 psi most of the time.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

in my 98 the Walbro 340 was a bitch...not just plug and play like alot of people say...I had to "mod" a few things here and there to make it fit
Old 06-25-2003, 10:08 AM
TECH Veteran

I installed mine a year or so ago. It does not like going lower than 1/4 tank as well.
I did not cut any holes in the enclosure.

Someone did a write up not to long ago about cutting openings in the enclosure to help out with this problem. Good write up with lots of pics.

We installed Vinces intank Walbro just the write up. Made sure the pump was seated as low as it would go. He has no issues below 1/4...even in turns. I dont think hes gone as low as 1/8 though.

I still need to mod my enclosure...im just being lazy.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Default o i c

i need help on installing the highflow fuel pump...supposely its similar to walbro, a mechaninc installed it, but it had to be modified, thing is it only worked for about some hours... car turned off about 4 times before it totally didnt start again... could the fuel pump been burned off already or...what could have gone wrong, i know theres no fuel passing because i changed the fuel filter aswell it was clogged up, when i urn the key forward to prime the fuel pump i can hear the fuel pump...but still,no fuel passes...do i need to take the tank down again?duh... but oh well dunno know what to do i might just sell the darm thing *frustrated*
Old 02-22-2010, 07:56 PM
FormerVendor

Sounds like a bad install if he used a basic pump (that is not a direct fit for the car) then sounds like it blew the hose off. There are direct replacement pumps that are made for the car specifically...and why the 7year old thread?
Old 08-23-2010, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

ive had my walbro fuel pump for about 4 months/ after drag racing at the track and on my way home my car failed...Fuel pump went out. friend of mine also had 2 walbros fail and went to racestronix and never looked back since
Old 08-29-2010, 01:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this thread is 7 years old
Old 08-31-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll get a lot more help and attention if you start a new thread rather than bump an old thread like this.

Quick Reply: Why walbro fuel pump isn't for everyone.. Install warning..