Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Lucas Octane Booster?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lucas Octane Booster?

About a month ago I wanted to throw in some injector cleaner but I ran across the Fuel booster section at the parts store. I read every bottle and decided to go with the Lucas Octane Booster. So after every fill Ive decided to put a bottle of this in every tank just to experiment. The first thing Ive noticed is that the engine idles significantly quieter, no knocking, pinging. Second Ive noticed better response on the throttle. And last, Ive gained about 20-30 extra miles to a tank of gas, city driving only.

What do you guys think of this stuff. Anyone use something different?? I would like to keep putting this in the tank before each refuel, but it could get pricey!! I just wanted to post this up and get some responses from the pros.

Mike
Old 10-26-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

i use a can of octane booster about once as month which is about every 5 - 6 fill ups
just to keep things clean

ive never noticed any signifigant mpg increase tho, if you are i say hey keep using it a few dollors for better mph per tank id say its worth it, and isnt going to hurt anythign
Old 10-28-2007, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3rdgentug
i use a can of octane booster about once as month which is about every 5 - 6 fill ups
just to keep things clean

ive never noticed any signifigant mpg increase tho, if you are i say hey keep using it a few dollors for better mph per tank id say its worth it, and isnt going to hurt anythign
I think I am going to keep on trying it until I put it away for the year. I just hope it isnt a waste of money which it could be depending on how you look at it. I just like the results of the way the car is running on this stuff. thanks for your input 3rdgentug!!
Old 10-28-2007, 08:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

what is the exact name of it? i am interested and want to try and see if i can get any improvement out of my tank.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ND4SPD _SS
what is the exact name of it? i am interested and want to try and see if i can get any improvement out of my tank.
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show

Here it is man. Check it out. Click on the spec sheet also to read up on more info. I like it, the car feels and sounds good all the way around. I really love no engine noise. Plus the MPG is like +2 or so.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Its a waste of money...use 91+ octane on an ls1 and you should be fine. You will make the most power running the lowest octane fuel that you can safely run, and almost all octane booster bought off the shelf will only raise the octane level a few points(like from 91 octane to 91.3 octane).

If you want some cheap octane booster, get some xylene or toulene, both can be found at chemical supply and paint places(hardware stores carry smaller bottles of it). The octane booster you buy at the parts store is usually just xylene in a flashy bottle selling for 5 times what its worth.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rosey
Its a waste of money...use 91+ octane on an ls1 and you should be fine. You will make the most power running the lowest octane fuel that you can safely run, and almost all octane booster bought off the shelf will only raise the octane level a few points(like from 91 octane to 91.3 octane).

If you want some cheap octane booster, get some xylene or toulene, both can be found at chemical supply and paint places(hardware stores carry smaller bottles of it). The octane booster you buy at the parts store is usually just xylene in a flashy bottle selling for 5 times what its worth.
I get 93 here in PA. But the whole point is saying that I did gain MPG's and the engine is alot quieter with quicker throttle response. I do agree about it possibally being alot of money.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:34 AM
10 Second Club

How much are you paying per bottle? How much do you pay per gallon of gas? If you're getting 20-30 miles extra per fill up that would be a gallon or two depending on what type of driving you do, it may be a wash as far as price goes. But the side effects that you are experiencing and liking may be worth the couple $$'s extra
Old 10-30-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by myfast70
How much are you paying per bottle? How much do you pay per gallon of gas? If you're getting 20-30 miles extra per fill up that would be a gallon or two depending on what type of driving you do, it may be a wash as far as price goes. But the side effects that you are experiencing and liking may be worth the couple $$'s extra
Yeah exactly the pros and cons ^ I would love to see a dyno graph on this stuff too. Just to see what the increase is weather it is .5hp or 2hp.

Quick Reply: Lucas Octane Booster?