Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Adjust fuel pressure to match injectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 07:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adjust fuel pressure to match injectors

I have a 02 LQ9 engine that I installed a LS6 intake on. I switched the injectors to 02 ZO6 injectors. From what I have read the stock injectors are 24.7lb/hr and the ZO6 injectors are 28.2lb/hr@58psi and 24.3lb/hr@43psi. Can I lower the fuel pressure to 44.5 psi to have the new injectors flow the same as the original injectors? I only want to do this as a temporary fix. I plant to change the cam out this winter and only want to pay for a tune once. The car will also see very little use. I just need to drive it for bodywork estimates.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:53 AM
FormerVendor

No they are the same pressures you need to get a computer tune.

Nate
Old 11-30-2007, 12:02 PM
Launching!

I understand that the LS6 and LQ9 have the same fuel pressure. I have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator installed. I can adjust the system to any pressure. I am basically looking for a way to use the new injectors until I get the computer tuned. $100 is alot to spend just to change the injector rates when I'll need to have the computer tuned again after the cam swap.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:22 PM
FormerVendor

Still not a good idea you have no idea where your fuel ratios are unless you have a Wide band gauge.

Nate
Old 11-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
Still not a good idea you have no idea where your fuel ratios are unless you have a Wide band gauge.

Nate
I agree...my experience has told me that you need to tune the car to have it done right. I stepped from the stock 28.8 lb/hr injectors to 34-ish lb/hr injectors, and I just went in and adjusted my injector flow rate tables thinking that would do the trick. I was wrong. I had to go and adjust the entire VE table to make sure the AFRs were good all across the board. The style of injector was different from the stockers, and required drastic changes in the PCM to get everything right.

Based off of that, I'd say wait and do everything at once if you can. My injector swap turned out to be not-so-trivial after all.