Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Sputtering after a leaky fuel rail

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputtering after a leaky fuel rail

I took my LS1 04 goat out for the first time in weeks today. Yesterday I tighened up a loose fuel line on my ProProducts anodized fuel rail....guess the rail was loose and it raised up off the rear injector and I didnt notice.

I got it few miles down the road and I smelled gas badly...pulled over and it was gushing fuel at the driver side/rear injector. I left the car and went and got some tools, removed the rail, reseated it, and no more leak.

It ran like a champ again, so I pulled away and a mile or two down the road the car started sputtering and wasnt delivering full power.

I made it home and popped the hood, everything is normal. No leaks. No loose wires, all injectors plugged in.

I disassembled both rails, removed all the injectors, inspected them (as best as I could for a sealed unit), used compressed air and blew into both ends, reassembled, checked for leaks....all good.

Rode fine for a block, then the sputtering returned.

I am thinking plugged injector. But sputtering seems harder than just a one-cylinder problem.

Suggestions?
Old 12-19-2007, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

I pulled the plugs and checked for fouling, they were okay. I also reset the computer.

I went for a drive and it rode great for the first few minutes....then it started sputtering again. It seemed okay on hard accel...it was sputtering mainly at lower RPMs. Then it threw a CEL.

I have driven it with one coil pack accidently unplugged, it didnt have as much stutter as it does now.

I am stumped.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Still puzzled over this one....any suggestions?
Old 12-21-2007, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

P0171, Fuel Trim, Bank 1. Fuel too Lean condition.

No surprise, I am assuming Bank 1 is driver side...the side of the initial leaking fuel inj.

Since its too lean I am figuring either a clogged inj, or PCM is taking away fuel.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:56 AM
TECH Resident

maybe an injector went completely bad or maybe even a coil pack? If your going lean I would lean more towards an injector as you may be getting spark, but no fuel. Sounds like a pain, hope you get it figured out.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:34 AM
12 Second Club

just throwing out ideas here. maybe the injector is clogged like you said. the seal might not have been tight enough to withstand the extra pressure at the fuel blockage with the rail being a little loose. maybe now that you reseated it, it is sealed good enough to hold the extra fuel pressure at the blockage. if the computer recognizes that there is a lean condition maybe it would switch over to reduced engine power mode which would cause the sputtering you speak of.