Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

DIY twin pumps on the quick and cheap

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 07:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

yes you could do that. it would change the $ investment considerably.

in a 00 the pumps are not 'drop in' even more so than 98's. look at the plastic tank pictures.. thats what you have. modding the tank to accept -8 and running that to the front is also not drop in and go. will require significant mods to the fuel system.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for rthe reply. I was concerned with adding other pieces to the system to make this work. I keep seeing "hobbs switch" in this thread. I wouldn't need that right? I am not running boost. I will eventually be running a 427 with a 250-300 shot. I saw a write up on the Nasty Fuel lines installation. It looked time consuming but not impossible. So, I guess what I am trying to say is could I put the pumps in run two of the harnesses and a -6 return and -8 feed and a regulator and everything work correctly. I figure my final setup should have about 720-780hp at the wheels. I would rather have plenty than not enough. I was looking at going the Aeromotive External pump route but that is $$$$$. Also, Racetronix says that these pumps function like stock pumps that is why I was saying a "simple drop in".
Old 02-25-2008, 08:59 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent write up! I was thinking about how to do this earlier today for my 93. Hopefully it's close to the same sort of setup....?
Old 02-25-2008, 10:21 PM
12 Second Club

mm- did you use the stock feed? and if you do what kind of return (both would you need for a stock feed an what you have)
Old 02-26-2008, 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

hustler- yes the great thing about the walbro is that they ARE OEM grade pumps so you can expect quiet operation and years of trouble free performance if installed correctly. A HOBBS switch is a pressure sensitive trigger. for nitrous you could use a wide open, or an rpm based trigger, or trigger the second pump to hit when the nitrous sprays. A relay is not picky what gives it the last ground or hot it needs. I personally would not run both pumps all the time, but some do and claim no negatives. This is what would be the case if you were to simply wire two Rx harnesses into the car.

Beaflag- I have never been under a 93 but i am almost positive the tank is the same, I hear the fuel line set up is different through.. but the wiring and what you do inside the tank should be identical.

Henny- On this car the fuel system mods other than injectors are totally captured in the pictorial. On my car I have a merge to -8 and a -8 bulkhead on top of the tank sender; Run -8 to one aftermarket rail, a -8 cross over, a -6 return to aftermarket regulator, then it hooks to the original factory pressure line as my return and goes back into the tank through it.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Excellent write up! I was thinking about how to do this earlier today for my 93. Hopefully it's close to the same sort of setup....?
Yes it is done the exact same way on a 93. I should know.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
hustler- yes the great thing about the walbro is that they ARE OEM grade pumps so you can expect quiet operation and years of trouble free performance if installed correctly. A HOBBS switch is a pressure sensitive trigger. for nitrous you could use a wide open, or an rpm based trigger, or trigger the second pump to hit when the nitrous sprays. A relay is not picky what gives it the last ground or hot it needs. I personally would not run both pumps all the time, but some do and claim no negatives. This is what would be the case if you were to simply wire two Rx harnesses into the car.

Beaflag- I have never been under a 93 but i am almost positive the tank is the same, I hear the fuel line set up is different through.. but the wiring and what you do inside the tank should be identical.

Henny- On this car the fuel system mods other than injectors are totally captured in the pictorial. On my car I have a merge to -8 and a -8 bulkhead on top of the tank sender; Run -8 to one aftermarket rail, a -8 cross over, a -6 return to aftermarket regulator, then it hooks to the original factory pressure line as my return and goes back into the tank through it.
can this setup be used with a stock feed and a -6 return? my goals will be on a tc76.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

sure, this car has a stock feed and stock return
Old 02-28-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Make sure you use teflon insulated wire inside the tank. PVC insulation gets softened by gasoline.

Walbro pumps pull 10.6A each -> http://www.autoperformanceengineerin...l/fpspecs.html
Old 02-28-2008, 07:53 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastbird93
Yes it is done the exact same way on a 93. I should know.
Excellent news. I just got my turbo today so I'm planning the fuel system. This is now on my to do list.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Default Thank You

MightyMouse
Old 03-05-2008, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mightymouse, are you just adding another pump to the factory setup or does this setup have return lines and FPR upfront in the engine bay?? Might have over looked this, but not sure.. One other thing is there a part number for the relay you used??

thanks Andy
Old 03-05-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

30a automotive relay, in the electircal sections of any auto parts store, if you find a 40a you could certainly use that as well

on the red car pictured i just added a second pump and hobbs trigger. my car has a front mounted regulator
Old 03-06-2008, 06:33 AM
TECH Resident

30a automotive relay, in the electircal sections of any auto parts store, if you find a 40a you could certainly use that as well

on the red car pictured i just added a second pump and hobbs trigger. my car has a front mounted regulator
I know the 98 fuel pump assembly is diffrent, but do they still have a regulator like the 99-02 tanks?? If so would I be able to get away with just adding a second pump to my FI setup or would I have to install a front mount regulator?

Thanks Andy
Old 03-06-2008, 06:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

all years have the regulator in the tank, yes, you will just have to do 'bucket' mods
Old 03-06-2008, 07:43 AM
TECH Resident

all years have the regulator in the tank, yes, you will just have to do 'bucket' mods
10-4, so at what point do you need a front mount regulator. Just asking because I don't want to spend money on something I don't need!!
Old 03-06-2008, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

Nevermind, I just read on another thread that I need not worry until I get to 650 hp. Thanks again
Old 03-06-2008, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

awesome writeup! this information has needed to be collected in one thread on this sight for a while.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Banned

i have a 98 with racetronix race fuel kit on a boosted setup

is it possible to run a boost referenced FPR in front of the car in conjunction with the stock fuel regulator in the tank to up the fuel pressure to enhance the efficiency of one pump ??

if so, would i just cut the stock return line and tee it into there ?

Last edited by Project Dc2; 03-07-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Banned

this write up pretty much stops all the sales of the twin intank kits your can buy on here.

Quick Reply: DIY twin pumps on the quick and cheap