Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

98 T/A - Wreck - No FP or Injector Pulse

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98 T/A - Wreck - No FP or Injector Pulse

I just picked up a nose damaged '98 T/A Auto with 87K on it. The seller told me it wouldnt start before I went to look at it and I couldnt really attempt to start it until I bought it and got it back home since the battery that was in the car was smashed in the accident.

I got another battery hooked up to it and was able to fire it off with a shot of starter fluid, so ignition isnt a problem.

the fuel pump will not prime when the key is turned, however I was able to hotwire the #5 pin where the FP relay goes to engage the pump, so I can temporarily fix that, but even with fuel pressure, it wont fire.

Im assuming at this point that something PCM/Injector related is not allowing the injectors to fire.

All of the fuses are good in the 2 boxes under the hood and the 1 inside didnt really apply to anything engine related.

Im sure it could be something simple as a bad ground I guess, but Im not really sure where to start on this thing and Id like to get it fired up at least once before I remove the engine from the car.

The only "bad" thing that happened as a result of the accident was the battery was smashed back into the strut tunnel and most likely shorted both terminals against the sheet metal. Is there perhaps a main fuse or fusible link I missed somewhere, or is there a chance that the PCM is fried?

Any advice/tips/tricks/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Launching!

you know I think I remember a buddy having something like this going on and it turned out to be the anti theft malfunctioning.

on a side note if the engine it not getting 50psi of fuel pressure it wont crank either. so the pump is pumping but maybe the regulators bad ? can you check fuel pressure.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

The harness that runs behind the battery has multiple power wires to everything. I would assume you have some cut or shorted out wires. Do you have 12vdc to the injectors?? If not, you have a power problem. If you do the problem is most likely in the vatts as it kills the fuel pump and injectors.

Re'
Old 02-20-2008, 01:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigJls1
you know I think I remember a buddy having something like this going on and it turned out to be the anti theft malfunctioning.

on a side note if the engine it not getting 50psi of fuel pressure it wont crank either. so the pump is pumping but maybe the regulators bad ? can you check fuel pressure.
Actually they will start with lower than 50 psi. The Walbro pump i'm using just went out and would only pump up 20 psi. The motor would start, but any attempt to give it some throttle and it would start cutting out immediately.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BigJls1

Yeah, the vatts issue is a possiblity, and I have been reading about possible cranks and cam sensors that might be possible reasons. Ill check the FP, but once I hotwired the pump, the pressure was definately there.

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
The harness that runs behind the battery has multiple power wires to everything. I would assume you have some cut or shorted out wires. Do you have 12vdc to the injectors?? If not, you have a power problem. If you do the problem is most likely in the vatts as it kills the fuel pump and injectors.

Re'
yeah, I inspected the harness and couldnt find any cut wires, infact the only one I did find was a ground going to the fog light. Ill check the power to the injectors, but since vatts cuts out both fuel pump and injectors, I have a feeling thats the issue The thing that really sucks is that neither the previous owner or myself can get the key out of the ignition, so I cant even try the other keys to see that thats the problem.

Originally Posted by 167camaro
Actually they will start with lower than 50 psi. The Walbro pump i'm using just went out and would only pump up 20 psi. The motor would start, but any attempt to give it some throttle and it would start cutting out immediately.
my typhoon was the same way when the original pump started crapping out. I can hear the pump running in the T/A, however there is a sudden "clunk" when it first comes on. I originally thought the pump was locked, but was able to hear it humming later and confirmed it once I found there was pressure in the line.