Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

BAP on a stock pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BAP on a stock pump?

I read some posts on here about the BAP's, but most of them were in conjunction with an aftermarket pump. What would be the most power you think a stock pump would support with the MSD BAP and the Racetronix harness? Thanks!
Old 02-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Teching In

I have a D1 running 9 pounds of boost using the stock pump and a KB BAP putting 570 to the tire @ about 5800 RPM (where we shut it down) but I am loosing fuel pressure @ somewhere around 5200. So I am going to the 97-98 vette return style fuel rail and the 255 pump.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmmm...interesting. Thanks for the reply! I just installed a brand new stock pump less than a year ago, but now I'm adding an STS. I really didn't want to drop the tank again. So far STS said it would be ok and you're number two. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2008, 11:45 AM
FormerVendor

I would not risk your motor and turbo to a stock pump over reving. Yes it can be done but you already know how these stockers can fail and add more volts to it...just going to fail faster. Turbo is very volital and requires alot of fuel.

Nate
Old 02-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
I would not risk your motor and turbo to a stock pump over reving. Yes it can be done but you already know how these stockers can fail and add more volts to it...just going to fail faster. Turbo is very volital and requires alot of fuel.

Nate
YES I agree. Change the stocker out because you are push it to its limits and for a little time and money you could save a lot in the long run, the last thing you want is to loose fuel on a boosted motor. In my case I am running E85 and needs even more fuel.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nuff said! I know I should change the pump, but I was being lazy! Sometimes I just need a little push to do the right thing. Thanks for the push!
Old 02-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Teching In

I have to disagree with the above posts for the following reasons. First, you have to ask what you are getting by installing an aftermarket pump. What is the capacity of your existing pump? How much more capacity are you getting with an aftermarket high papacity one?

I don't know waht the capcity of your pump is, so I will use mine for discussion purposes. I have an early C5, which as a Walbro with 190 lph capacity at 12 Volts. The aftermarket pumps supply 255 lph, or 34% mor capacity. Now, if I were to add a Racetronics harness with a Kenne-Bell BAP, what would I get for capacity? From the Racetronics website:

"The Racetronix PnP upgrade harness provides alternator direct power for maximum pump voltage. Racetronix has documented an
average 1.2-1.5V increase in pump voltage in the C5 which equates to a 15-18% increase in pump volume based on Walbro's
specifications and Racetronix field tests. A minor increase in fuel pressure will actually be experienced with the installation of this
harness."

Hmm, 15% more capacity from just installing their harness. Now assuming that they are correct, the stock pump is operating at ~ 12 Volts (13.7 Volts alternator -1.2 Volts voltage drop). The Kenne-Bell BAP can step up the voltage to 17 Volts (MSD is even higher). So the % increase in capacity due to the Racetronics harness + Kenne-Bell BAP would be (17-12.5)/12.5 or 36%! The same as upgrading your pump!

Do BAPs cause pump failure? I don't think so. You should read this! http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ge...heory_kens.pdf (see page 5).

Do you want to heat your gas?? No! When you install a larger capacity pump that is what you are doing. Assuming you are in boost at wat <10% of the time, for the other 90% of the time you have 34% excess capacity. And yes, that heats your gas! With a BAP you only increase the pump capacity when you are under boost (<10% of the time).

Keep an open mind! BAPs do work. Look at the Kenne-Bell web site. They have a lot of great data.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:04 AM
FormerVendor

I am not saying they cause failure and they do work just the stock GM F-Body pump has a tendency of failing all on its own then add 34% more volts and volume to it and it is sure to crap out all of a sudden. For a guy running boost not a good thing. Now add a higher volume pump with good wiring without the added volts and it is sure to last alot longer.

Nate
Old 02-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Do BAPs work? Sure, but I've had my stock pump fail on me without boosting it, so they kinda scare me. Just buy Racetronix's pump kit with the wiring harness. It'll supply all the fuel you need for an STS, and it won't break the bank.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Default BAPs don't cause pumps to fail

Originally Posted by T A WS6 M6
Do BAPs work? Sure, but I've had my stock pump fail on me without boosting it, so they kinda scare me. Just buy Racetronix's pump kit with the wiring harness. It'll supply all the fuel you need for an STS, and it won't break the bank.

As I said above: Do BAPs cause pump failure? I don't think so. You should read this! http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ge...heory_kens.pdf (see page 5).