Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

One cylinder isn't getting fuel, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003 | 01:33 AM
TECH Addict

Default One cylinder isn't getting fuel, please help!

My #6 cylinder isn't firing, it is getting spark, and the injector is fine. I swapped injectors with #4, but #6 still didn't fire. I'm guessing it is a problem in the wiring to the injector. Has anyone had this problem before? I think I remember Reckless having some problems with the injector wiring. Is there any way to check the wires before I go splicing in a new one? Thanks a lot for any help!
Old 07-18-2003 | 06:26 AM
9 Second Club

Default Re: One cylinder isn't getting fuel, please help!

pull the fuel rail...leave the injectors in it, place a towel under the injectors, rail...hit the switch and see if the injector is spraying...if not...gotta be wiring they dont spray very much fuel when starting the car so don't think you'll have a big mess
Old 07-18-2003 | 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Yes I did. Don't make a mess! If you have a multimeter ($25 at the parts store) you can check the wiring.

Figure out which wire the #6 injector is on the PCM. Pull the pcm plug off. Place the multimeter to the lowest "ohms" setting to check for continuity (resistance). Place the positive probe on either end (the injector plug or PCM plug), and place the negative probe on the other end. You should register some amount of resistance.

If the reading is near zero, there is no resistance, and thus, no continuity. If this is the case, you have a bad wire. Now you have to figure out where it is bad.

Use a razor and nick the wire about 4 inches above the injector harness and perform the test using that spot on the wire and the PCM plug. If you get resistance, then it is bad between that point and the injector. Continue doing this until you find the bad portion.

Mine (two) were actually broken inside the insulation near the injector harness. You can order just the replacement harness from any GM dealer. It comes prewired so all you have to do is splice it in.
Old 07-22-2003 | 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

I recently had a problem like this after getting my car rewired with a Haywire harness. My driver side bank was not running at all or heating up. It was getting fuel so we figured it was electrical as well. After some searching we found a burnt fuse. After replacing it the car fired right up and ran strong.

I would suggest checking any related fuses

Dave