Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Non Return line vs Return line system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 05:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non Return line vs Return line system?

I am currently running a return style system with my Ls1 in my 87 Trans Am. I have to run new fuel line and a friend said I could eliminate the return line. I know I can do this because I am using a 99 fuel rail with an Aeromotive regulator.

Now, a friend of mine also told me that a return style system will be better for a high horsepower system. If this is true, at what horsepower levels does this come into play?

I know there are people running 408s with the stock return less lines in their f bodies.

What do you guys think?
Old 03-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking there is a bit of confusion going on here. The '98+ F-bodies and Vettes all use a return style system, but the returns are in the back of the car, not from the rails, and the regulator is in the tank. Unless you can run a regulator in the tank, you'll still need a return line after your regulator to bleed off the excess fuel.

As for the higher HP application...not sure where that starts. I'm in the process of converting my current 2002 F-body system to a return at the rails style system on my stock internal engine to see if I can keep the fuel pressure from dropping so much at WOT.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I typically see a substantial drop in pressure on the non-return styles at approx 700hp. For a boosted application it is more important as you can also boost reference the pressure.

Under this amount it is a matter of preference, but running a return from the rail with a front mount regulator is always the best way. You need to control the pressure where it matters... at the engine, not the tank.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
I typically see a substantial drop in pressure on the non-return styles at approx 700hp. For a boosted application it is more important as you can also boost reference the pressure.

Under this amount it is a matter of preference, but running a return from the rail with a front mount regulator is always the best way. You need to control the pressure where it matters... at the engine, not the tank.
I run my regulator with about a foot of line from my fuel rail. My car is heads and cam for know so I think I will be fine with out running a return line.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Teching In

I have the stock rail on my 2002 Camaro and with cam and headers I made 400 hp to the tire with no problem but now that I added a blower I am now losing fuel pressure @ 5200 or so running the stock pump with a BAP. I know a guy that had the same problem and he installed a 255 pump and went to the return style rail leaving the reg in the tank and it cured the problem so that is what I'm going to do also.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Big-K-Performance
I have the stock rail on my 2002 Camaro and with cam and headers I made 400 hp to the tire with no problem but now that I added a blower I am now losing fuel pressure @ 5200 or so running the stock pump with a BAP. I know a guy that had the same problem and he installed a 255 pump and went to the return style rail leaving the reg in the tank and it cured the problem so that is what I'm going to do also.
What is your hp level?
Old 03-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Right now I'm at 570 rwhp but that is a safe tune cuz of the loss of fuel pressure so with solid fuel pressure I sould make 620 or so at 6200, I hope anyway.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Big-K-Performance
That was me. With the stock fuel system except for the BAP I was seeing fuel pressure drop about the same RPM making just over 500rwhp. I responded to your post in the local forum. I added the Walbro pump along with the BAP and things seem to be fine. I haven't had a chance to re-tune yet but my wideband is telling me its off the charts rich. Basically what I did was use the 97-98 vette fuel rails which have the regulator at the rail. I then ran a new return line to the back.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple fuel system upgrade write ups in my web in sig. Couple different ways to add to the stock fuel system.
Robert

Quick Reply: Non Return line vs Return line system?