Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

part ID, car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default part ID, car won't start

Guys, need your help identifying the part. I replaced my stock fuel pump/sender with a new unit (GM stock, 98). However, I noticed the new assembly didn't come with the part in the attached picture. So I assumed that since GM didn't include it, I didn't need it. I have no fuel squirting out at the schreder valve in the engine bay.

Now, the car won't start, it sputters and 'coughs'. I am assuming this part is one way valve to keep the fuel pressure up. I can hear the fuel pump priming the lines.

Do I need to pull my fuel pump assembly out and install that part from my old unit?

Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails part ID, car won't start-part.jpg  
Old 04-26-2008, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Ok, to answer my own question:
yes, I did indeed need that part. The car started right away. I don't know the name of it, but it keeps the fuel delivery hose pressurized. I am really pissed off with that eBay seller claiming that I bought a 'brand new complete assembly'. It looks like I got a remanufactured unit with the fixed sender and new wires.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Does anybody have a diagram view of the fuel regulator with internals? In which order do the O-rings/filter screen go?

In case someone runs into the same problem...

Found it: for 1998 vehicles, the fuel pressure regulator is inside the fuel tank. If you do decide to take it apart like I did, here is the assembly order:
main cap -> plastic black O-ring, red rubber O-ring, filter screen, small black 1/4" O-ring. I am attaching a picture of the fuel regulator assembled.

I forgot to transplant that 1/4" O-ring and the car ran like crap throwing P0131, P0151 codes. I ended up taking out and putting in 3 times the damn fuel pump.
Attached Thumbnails part ID, car won't start-regulator.jpg  

Last edited by darom; 04-27-2008 at 12:31 PM.