Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Hydrogen Kit questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hydrogen Kit questions

Hey, I was talking to my ex girlfriend the other day and she said her dad bought her a hydrogen kit for her 1976 camaro LT. She says now she gets around 25 mpg with her 350 and it is also a little bit faster. Here is the kit in question... http://www.preignitioncc.com/peakenergy/ anyway, has anyone ever heard of anyone doing this before? I would imagine in my M6 I would get around 30 - 35mpg. That would be nice! Anyone? What are your thoughts on this?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have done some experimenting around here with browns gas, which includes mostly hydrogen. On late model vehicles it requires some special tuning to fool the o2 sensors. What happens is when the hydrogen (browns gas) is introduced into a late model computer controlled engine it beleives it is running lean due to the extra oxygen molecules being introduced, so it adds fuel. Without tuning this would mean worse fuel mileage. Timing must also be retarded to about 10*. This setup does work but must be properly tuned. They tend to be easier to use on carbed vehicles though. GOOD LUCK!
Old 05-21-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by heavy6.0
We have done some experimenting around here with browns gas, which includes mostly hydrogen. On late model vehicles it requires some special tuning to fool the o2 sensors. What happens is when the hydrogen (browns gas) is introduced into a late model computer controlled engine it beleives it is running lean due to the extra oxygen molecules being introduced, so it adds fuel. Without tuning this would mean worse fuel mileage. Timing must also be retarded to about 10*. This setup does work but must be properly tuned. They tend to be easier to use on carbed vehicles though. GOOD LUCK!
what kind of gains would i see on my LS1 SS? All I need to do is retard my timing 10 degrees for this to work? I am really thinking of putting this in my car over the summer.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hahah. Sounds awesome for me. I have no cats or O2s.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

check out the power tube it has nothing to do with the cat convertor $50 bucks on e-bay plus electronics part that goes in car might try it on my carbed 72 cutlass
Old 05-22-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 433 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by UnZFeat'd
Hey, I was talking to my ex girlfriend the other day and she said her dad bought her a hydrogen kit for her 1976 camaro LT. She says now she gets around 25 mpg with her 350 and it is also a little bit faster. Here is the kit in question... http://www.preignitioncc.com/peakenergy/ anyway, has anyone ever heard of anyone doing this before? I would imagine in my M6 I would get around 30 - 35mpg. That would be nice! Anyone? What are your thoughts on this?
If you look at their claims, this is ridiculous. Using the car's electrical power to break water into hydrogen and oxygen would, of course work. The problem is that your alternator requires energy to produce electricity. This energy comes directly from your already inefficient gasoline engine. You then inject this fuel mix (did I forget to mention hydrogen has a much lower octane rating than gasoline?) into your motor. If there were some cheap source of hydrogen, of course you could burn less gasoline by injecting it. Unfortunately, onboard electrolysis would be the equivalent of hooking your alternator to an electric motor in hopes of perpetual motion.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

so then this thing is a bunch of garbage?
Old 05-23-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 433 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by UnZFeat'd
so then this thing is a bunch of garbage?
I don't know if I would say that. Garbage has never deliberately attempted to steal money from me through lies and fraudulent claims.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

why dont all the auto manufactures use this system?......my point exactly
Old 05-30-2008, 09:09 AM
10 Second Club

I wonder what it costs. If it was only a few hundred id try it out on my daily driver.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

u can build your own with a 5 gal paint bucket and some SS plates.

It does work with tuning, and hydrongen make 3x more energy than it takes to make the gas from water.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

Watch out for this stuff! We had some threads on LS1com. The kits they sell are going to people who are in a panic over gas prices! There is a PCV enhancer/jar that I have used for years. This helps some, but no where near the claims for gas mpg. I did see an increase, not much. It works like a catch can only better. I am building some for a few friends. I will get the link for photo up soon. You can make them yourself and they are safe. If I forget somebody PM me and I will do it, just give me some time.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:15 AM
TECH Resident

Guys, I doubt this acts anything more than a large catch can. If you could potentially double your MPG, ALL CAR MANUFACTURES WITH THE MILLIONS in R&D would have used this system already. Think about it...
Old 06-03-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sdbrown84
Guys, I doubt this acts anything more than a large catch can. If you could potentially double your MPG, ALL CAR MANUFACTURES WITH THE MILLIONS in R&D would have used this system already. Think about it...

That is the worst attempt at a logical thought I have ever seen.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Why is that grizzle? Do you honestly believe that all the car companies want to produce cars with bad mpg? I think your the one being a bit illogical
Old 06-03-2008, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

im pretty sure they tested a hydrogen producing electrolysis unit and magnets on the fuel lines similar to this kit on Mythbusters. the gains in mpg were nonexistant or negligible.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

just curious. does anyone know about how much this kit costs? i couldn't find it on the site but im sure someone could throw one together and sell them for less.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

There are many reasons that you haven't seen anything like this from the OEM's.

1. you have a huge oil industry that pours money in to lobbyist groups to keep the EPA and Gov. at bay on MPG standards. They are about oil, diesel and gasoline and selling it at the highest profit margin they can. It would appear that they spend more on lobbyist than they do on R&D of new energy sources.

2. most people aren't willing to fill the water and the gas... some people have a hard time changing the oil. All the car companies work to almost the lowest common denominator when developing products...so if that means not ticking off the lazy people, then that's what they work to.

There are many more...

Some HHO generators are built by billy joe jim bob that don't produce enough gas to do anything, that's the problem with this stuff and it turns people off. Word of mouth can put a stop to the widespread use of this as easy as anything else. If you buy one, get one from a established manufacture....it may cost more upfront but if you don't see the results you had expected you can usually return it for a refund.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Hydrorunner.com!!! Just sold UPS and FEDEX. If they bought it I bet it works.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by flawless35th
why dont all the auto manufactures use this system?......my point exactly
Originally Posted by ScottyRocket
There are many reasons that you haven't seen anything like this from the OEM's.

1. you have a huge oil industry that pours money in to lobbyist groups to keep the EPA and Gov. at bay on MPG standards. They are about oil, diesel and gasoline and selling it at the highest profit margin they can. It would appear that they spend more on lobbyist than they do on R&D of new energy sources.

2. most people aren't willing to fill the water and the gas... some people have a hard time changing the oil. All the car companies work to almost the lowest common denominator when developing products...so if that means not ticking off the lazy people, then that's what they work to.

There are many more...

Some HHO generators are built by billy joe jim bob that don't produce enough gas to do anything, that's the problem with this stuff and it turns people off. Word of mouth can put a stop to the widespread use of this as easy as anything else. If you buy one, get one from a established manufacture....it may cost more upfront but if you don't see the results you had expected you can usually return it for a refund.
He is completly right. Did you guys know that BMW owns the patent to a 200 MPG carb? The OEMs do not want us to have this kind of stuff.

Quick Reply: Hydrogen Kit questions