Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Do fuel additives help with LS1's performance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do fuel additives help with LS1's performance?

Namely, the NOS brand Octane booster. I use to use this product in my older 1988 Chevy Stepside 350, and I noticed a performance difference. However, when I first recieved my LS1, nothing was going into the tank besides 93 octane.

Well, now that I have a few miles on the 01, I was wondering if it would be beneficial to put a Fuel booster such as the NOS brand in my car on nights when heavy use is expected. I know we took it to HRP one night, and on about the 7th run my brother mentioned that the car was making a ticking noise at high RPMS. I figured the car was just running hot and I was getting a bit of detonation. Would the octane booster have helped with that?

That only other product I have put in the tank was the Royal Purple injection cleaner, and that was at 15,000 miles.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

Default Re: Do fuel additives help with LS1's performance?

That octane booster is expensive, and doesn't improve the overall octane rating of the gas very much, maybe a half point to a point. Best to just buy some 100 unleaded octane if it is available in your area. Run just high enough octane to avoid detonation becasue their is actually less chemical energy per unit of fuel the higher the octane you go. Some of the TurboBuick guys will use Xylene to boost octane as well, I think Xylene has about a 116 octane rating, maybe try mixing a gallon of that with close to a full tank of gas and see if that solves your ping problem.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ditto on Artic's comments.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:20 PM
Launching!

After changing my fuel filter, i purchased some STP Fuel Injector cleaner...NEVER again will I do that. The next few days when it was hot-*** hell(i had to park on the 3rd floor garage parking with no roof) my car had a hard time starting...im guessing it had to do something with that crap that I added. But like mentioned above, octane booster really doesnt do much help.

Quick Reply: Do fuel additives help with LS1's performance?