Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Truetrac, Locker, or Full Spool

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone have any videos on how the locker sounds or behaves? The parking garage I park at has a whole crap load of left turns to go up the levels, then a spiral ramp going left to exit. I just want to know that I can navigate these turns without it "jumping" on me, f-noise I try to set off car alarms as I go up the levels heh. I'm more concerned with the locker making exiting a tricky problem everytime I turn slowly.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:36 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SladeX
anyone have any videos on how the locker sounds or behaves? The parking garage I park at has a whole crap load of left turns to go up the levels, then a spiral ramp going left to exit. I just want to know that I can navigate these turns without it "jumping" on me, f-noise I try to set off car alarms as I go up the levels heh. I'm more concerned with the locker making exiting a tricky problem everytime I turn slowly.
I really don't see you having a problem with the rear in a parking garage. The thing I have seen is how a locker makes a car dart around when letting off the gas at moderate speeds. Bob
Old 11-12-2008, 06:38 AM
TECH Addict

the car will dart around at moderate speed when letting off the gas? huh...

what does that mean then if stopping in snow with a locker? as I slow then the car's rear will hop??? that's not exactly encouraging to hear...
Old 11-12-2008, 07:31 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

the car will dart around at moderate speed when letting off the gas? huh...

what does that mean then if stopping in snow with a locker? as I slow then the car's rear will hop??? that's not exactly encouraging to hear...
I've felt it happen at speeds around 30mph, this is with the locker not the Truetrac. Bob
Old 11-12-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Will the locker be a problem in a situation where I start slowing down in a blizzard and the rear starts popping not sure where to apply power? Would this cause a problem say navigating a turn? Is it a popping sound or literally an issue where I may find myself in a dangerous situation just trying to come to a complete stop? If that's the case, should I just e-bay the locker and buy a truetrac with 33 splines and 33 spline axles?
Old 11-13-2008, 04:23 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Will the locker be a problem in a situation where I start slowing down in a blizzard and the rear starts popping not sure where to apply power? Would this cause a problem say navigating a turn? Is it a popping sound or literally an issue where I may find myself in a dangerous situation just trying to come to a complete stop? If that's the case, should I just e-bay the locker and buy a truetrac with 33 splines and 33 spline axles?
I personally would prefer to have a spool in a blizzard than a locker. If going to a Truetrac with a nine inch you are limited to 28 or 31 spline axles, and I wouldn't push more than 600 rwhp with a Truetrac. Bob
Old 12-15-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thread revival:

bob... why would you prefer a spool to a locker in the snow?
wouldn't you want that little bit of extra traction from an unlocked locker instead of spinning a wheel the whole time?

if i was stuck in the snow... i could see a spool helping... since both wheels spin together, but until you were stuck, wouldn't a locker be better?
Old 12-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

They're both gonna suck in the snow reguardless.

You'd be wise to buy a rear with a spool, and take the 500 you spent over the stupid locker or trucrap and buy a 250 dollar winter beater.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

lol. i don't drive in the snow... i'm just wondering.

high power, low weight, rwd is a crap *** combo in the snow. lol.

i do city driving... so i know a spool isn't for me. lol. it's looking like a locker in my future.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Race your car!

I have a 9 inch center section, 31 spline axles, detroit locker, quiet QUIET 3.70 gears with about 1000 miles on it if that, if you're intrested. 850 bucks and it's yours, it just came out for a gear change and a swap to a spool and a swap to an alum center section to save some weight at the same time.

Lemme know, it was like 1150 new.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

where do you get a 9" for 1150?!? lol.

and i wish i could... but no money for a few months. lol. gotta pay for next semester first... :'(
Old 12-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Race your car!

It's just the center section. Not the whole rear.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:51 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by AxisOfOil
thread revival:

bob... why would you prefer a spool to a locker in the snow?
wouldn't you want that little bit of extra traction from an unlocked locker instead of spinning a wheel the whole time?

if i was stuck in the snow... i could see a spool helping... since both wheels spin together, but until you were stuck, wouldn't a locker be better?
The spool is going to be consistant on what it does, while the locker may lock and unlock each axle at different fractions of a second. A locker can cause the back of a car to wiggle on dry pavement, in snow if you were drunk it would be a blast!
Old 12-15-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

ah!
makes sense.
Kinda like ford's positrac... absolutely unpredictable. lol.

I think it would be fun in the snow sober! maybe that's just me though.

anyways... I'm in arizona at school... it's snowing today... and today will probably be about all the snow we get. there are always other ways to get around when it snows... like helicopters. lol.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thechef
i hate the locker i had in my car worst mod i ever did in my opinion and i am usually a person that can handle alot of things, big cams, solid suspensions, etc, the locker instantly made me say WTF did i do....pulled it out quickly and went tru track

Thread revival again....

Here is my experience with a Detroit Locker: It darts left and right BAD with each shift or each accell/deaccell, and even a blip of the throttle (wants to completely change lanes) especially on bias ply skinnies and drag radials. The softer the shocks are set the more drunkeness the darting becomes, horrible. On constant firm acceleration I have to countersteer the car about a 1/4 steering wheel turn, what's up with that????? Not so bad on full acceleration. It's very noisy, when I roll to a stop in neutral then put it in 1st gear it bangs and clunks so loud that those beside me look over. When accelerating from a turn it locks/unlocks but is the least of my locker complaints.
I am considering a spool since I'm going to have to reset the noisy 4:30 gears anyway.

Last edited by TexasVortexx; 01-28-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

i would go with a spool i love mine dive on the street all the time. i am so glad i did not go with a locker. saved alot of money and the spool has no matinece
Old 01-28-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What all is involved with the loss of ABS when going to a spool?
Old 01-29-2009, 01:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TexasVortexx
What all is involved with the loss of ABS when going to a spool?
i just have light on my dash that says abs nothing more
Old 01-29-2009, 04:31 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

The spool is lighter and with less mass back there it is a great way to go for those who don't do a lot of city driving. Bob
Old 01-29-2009, 09:18 AM
9 Second Club

im pushin 650 rwhp on mine with a truetrac, no problems. If its a street car thats what i would go with

Quick Reply: Truetrac, Locker, or Full Spool