Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

alum. driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: alum. driveshaft

I calculated the effects of Ram Air once (I don't know if I can remember/find the formulas) and it appears to make about 1 psi at 200 mph (based on a slightly larger intake opening than the WS6/SS cars have). But the cold air will help more than the pressure. I did these calculations for a top speed (Silver State Challenge) project that I was working on and have since sold.
Did you do this calculation based on a WS6 hood with the baffles/grills removed and hood sealed to the airbox? Just curious. I also read above where you said many WS6 owners were blocking off the hood and running like a supersucker ram air system or something similar. I can't for the life of me figure out why the hell you'd want to do that. I have the grills and baffles removed on my hood and I have the hood sealed with weatherstripping to the airbox. I can't imagine that a supersucker or other type of ram air system would bring in cooler air than straight through the hood unobstructed. That's just me though.

To stay on topic my WS6 had the aluminum driveshaft stock of course....
Old 10-19-2003, 06:13 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought the REGULAR Trans Am because I couldnt see spending the $3200 for little to no performance gains. I have about $4000 in my car and run mid 11's, plus they made 3 times as many WS6's as REGULAR TA's in 02. Oh and i have the 2.73 gear with the steel drive line
Old 10-19-2003, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

IMO, trackbird summed it up very nicely as usual.
So, disregarding the fact that this was originally an aluminum driveshaft post (you should check out the Denny's MMC 3.5" aluminum shaft btw ), everybody who knows anything about these cars knows that the SS/WS6 package is nothing "special" or "limited". If you like the looks and have the extra $$ to spend, go for it (I did), but please don't be under the impression that its something special or that it somehow raises your social status. That's all
Old 10-19-2003, 11:05 PM
10 Second Club

There is more to it then this.
Auto with 2.73's=steel
m6 with 235 tires =steel
Auto with3.23's and m6with 245 tires=Alum

Dejavu ... last time this was thrashed out, someone who seemed to know what they were talking about said that the cars that had high speed tires got an aluminum driveshaft and the 155 limit, while everyting else got the steel driveshaft and the 115 limit. I suspect it is actually related to options - some get the high speed tires and some don't. I think it was mentioned that there was a problem with the steel shafts and the RPMs required for the high speeds. I know my steel shaft vibrates since I put the Moser w/4.10 in.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Carl,

I seem to remember PSJ or someone mentioning that in a previous post. I had forgotten that I had seen that info. I can't verify it first hand, but it seems that I also remember cars with the 115 mph speedometer getting the steel shaft, which may be related to the 235 series tires. I may stand corrected on the auto/2.73's get steel shaft statement.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Right, only SS and WS6 come with aluminum drive shafts. There's a big difference between Z28 and SS, Trans am and WS6. Thats why it was a $3200 option for my WS6.
Bull ****.....
Study those Z-28's a little bit harder friend, My 2001 came stock with an ALUMINUM Drive Shaft. (American Axle Manufacturers, Three Rivers, ALUMINUM)

I also have friends with SS Camaro's and guess what? My suspension is EXACTLY the same as the stock SS setup... NO ****! (I got the Performance Ride and Handling Package as an option which also includes the larger anti-sway bars...)
Yeah, same shocks, same sway bars... No difference here!

Oh, And as far as a difference in exhaust... My Z also came stock with the SLP performance exhaust option... Darn, Isn't that what the SS Camaro's come with...

Other than the cute little hoodscoop, (which I really don't need since I am 'Cold Air Inducted' anyway and suck air from the bottom) and the SS appearance package, the only difference that I am aware of (between my Z-28 as I got it NEW and the Camaro SS) is that the SS came with 9" wheels and I have 8" wheels. Hummmm, Not a lot of difference here.

And with the 3,200 bones that I SAVED not getting the SS package I bought a bunch of Mods... and Beer, and Tools, and Gas... It hurts, Doesn't it...
Old 10-22-2003, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I calculated the effects of Ram Air once (I don't know if I can remember/find the formulas) and it appears to make about 1 psi at 200 mph (based on a slightly larger intake opening than the WS6/SS cars have). But the cold air will help more than the pressure. I did these calculations for a top speed (Silver State Challenge) project that I was working on and have since sold.
Did you do this calculation based on a WS6 hood with the baffles/grills removed and hood sealed to the airbox? Just curious. I also read above where you said many WS6 owners were blocking off the hood and running like a supersucker ram air system or something similar. I can't for the life of me figure out why the hell you'd want to do that. I have the grills and baffles removed on my hood and I have the hood sealed with weatherstripping to the airbox. I can't imagine that a supersucker or other type of ram air system would bring in cooler air than straight through the hood unobstructed. That's just me though.

To stay on topic my WS6 had the aluminum driveshaft stock of course....
I did the calculations based on a modified brake duct that I was considering using for an air intake on a project of mine (I can't find my papers anywhere and am lazy, but maybe one day I'll work it out again and post the info). My point was that other than getting fresh, cold air into an engine, ram air is a virtually useless marketing concept that was invented in the '60's. As I said, the direct shot of cold air is a great idea (before I start up the hate mail again), but as a way of making "boost" it is ineffective.

I also read above where you said many WS6 owners were blocking off the hood and running like a supersucker ram air system or something similar. I can't for the life of me figure out why the hell you'd want to do that. I have the grills and baffles removed on my hood and I have the hood sealed with weatherstripping to the airbox.
My guess.....

Water.....