Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rearend Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rearend Question

I have a 2000 TransAm M6, and I have a question regarding our weak rearends. I really do not have the money right now to invest in a whole rear end, bear in mind there is nothing wrong with my rearend. Is their a way to actually make our stock rearends more powerfull enough to deter future failure? As in puttin more reliable gears in them? thanks for the help
Old 12-25-2008, 12:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could do some stuff but its only a bandaid over a missing leg really. people say a cover will help it remain more rigid. along with a better torque arm and control arms. newer axles might aid aswell. and if i remember correctly putting in steeper gears (4.10's) itll make it weaker because thatll make them put more torque through them (i might be wrong with that last one)
Old 12-25-2008, 05:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

The 10-Bolt is just a ticking time bomb.. they will blow up, expecially with a T56.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...olt-break.html

I tend to agree with the section about beefing up your 10-bolt. Maybe you spend $500 in upgraded parts/labor. Eventually it will still break if you beat on it. Take that $500 and put it toward a 12-bolt or a 9 inch.

-Mike
Old 12-25-2008, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are plenty of us out here with 10 bolts that have been bulletproofed well enough to take the hard use, with the exception of constant beating via drag racing and even then there are guys still doing it ! I am one of them and I am over 400 hp at the rear and it holds up just fine and with a M6 and for a whole lot less than $2500 which most of these guys do not have. You can beef up a 10 bolt for less than $750 for the most part just by making a few well needed improvements, i.e. welding the axle tubes where they go into the housing (GM only spot welded two spots), upgrade the axles and still use 28 spline, aluminum girdle with pre loads, ARP stud kit to the bearing caps (GM bolts are not as strong as ARP's), change to a solid bearing spacer instead of a crush sleeve and that will keep the pinion from trying to walk up to the ring gear (design flaw in these 10 bolts), get rid of the Auburn, etc (a little extra cost) if you have one diffential with clutch paks, a heavy duty Torsen is best because it does not have clutch paks hence no rebuild needed. Replace the stock diffential pin with one made out Zytanium, the stock ones are known to break. Use a high quality ring gear set. I have yet to break a 10 bolt, sure it may happen but not as likely when make changes to upgrade it. Besides I've seen a few 12 bolts break. It's like anything else, if you take care of it, it will last longer.