Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gear Whine Problems

Old 01-03-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Whine Problems

As some of you might know I have been trying to figure out what is causing my moser 9 inch with motive gears whine so much...The whine is slightly present during decel and city driving but is at its loudest while drive on the highway,But if you take the car out of gear the whine seems to stop?would anyone know why this is?
Old 01-04-2009, 12:19 AM
12 Second Club

My GM motive gears do the same thing. I have had them in for about a year and they have been the same the whole time. The day my buddy and me put them in we put the dif cover on and drove it about a block and took them out and did the whole install all over again. We did this 3 times and they still do it. It has a perfect wear pattern and pinion angle is great. All of the research I have do the only thing I can come up with is that Motive Gear used to make to different sets 1 noisey and 1 quiet. About 2 years ago they got rid of the quiet set due to cost to make them. That is what I have read. Don't hold it against me!!!!! I am no expert....LOL
Old 01-04-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine whine as well..a pro shop took them out 3 times to check etc result was whine is less but there.. a real pita
Old 01-04-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Regular

But isnt it odd that the gears whine during decel and accel and the most while holding a constant speed? the guys pulled them out once and said their fine...But why would gears stop whining when the car is out of gear?wouldnt they keep whining?
Old 01-04-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I'd say your pattern is off, caused by wrong pinion depth. Or the Backlash is too tight. No gears should wine. Reguardless of the brand. I've used Richmonds, Yukon, Motive, GM and genuinegear (cheap brand) on Silverado's, to S10's and now my Trans am. And none of them wine. Knock on wood.

As far as them not wining when in N, thats probly because theres no load, so the pinion isn't walking up nor down the ring gear. Just a guess, feel free to correct me
Old 01-04-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gear whine indicates they are not set up correctly. Most likely the pinion depth is off cause its hard to blow the backlash.

Search this Thread