Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9 inch = Headache

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moser 9 inch = Headache

A few things to consider before you purchase your 9 inch, here is my story on my moser, i bought from BOB at EPP , by the way he is a very nice man, anyways rear came really fast after order, and packed well, after install gears were Really loud, called Bob, he had me send it back to moser, i paid $111 for shipping and insurance, car was down a few weeks there were some holidays in between, moser sent it back, i installed it and it was better but still unacceptable, as i have hade a currie 9inch in my third gen , and it was always dead silent even after 3 different gear sets and 6 years of driving it around, anyway it is still pretty loud at lower speeds, moser only would pay me back $80 for shipping , as they say thats all it cost them, so bob being a good guy put in an extra $20, so i have a rear end that is louder then my whining stock rear now, i spent an extra $375 on top of the price of the rear, to R&R it,and lots of down time, so i have a little over $3000 for the 9 inch, it sure seems to me that the customer should not be the tester for moser, moser i belive should beable to test for vibration on a simple jig and electric motor, i have seen allot of people having problems with there 9 inchs with noise on the boards,it makes me wonder who really is at fault! so add it up for your self , what the total will cost if you are sent a Headache of a rear!

Last edited by STMPDUST; 03-02-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

mine is pretty quiet. i had my friend that works at a rear end shop check the gears out before i put it in, which was perfect from moser. it seems like out of a couple, you get a few that are noiser than others.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Teching In

u sure ur ring and pinion is shimmed right?
Old 03-03-2009, 02:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was loud the way it came from Moser too. Changed the gears to Motives and had someone that knows what they're doing set them up and it's dead silent all the way to 120mph now.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If Moser took the time to set it up right, then they wouldn't be able to ship in 2 days.

Hah, my Moser 9" has a slight whine to it...very upsetting considering how much the thing costs. Oh well. At least it is quieter than my 10 bolt.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:06 PM
FormerVendor

Everyone has to keep in mind you are dealing with aftermarket gears, not factory OEM gears. As we strive to make every gear we setup run quiet there are just some situations no matter what you do it can be quiet. We have had great success with Motive Performance Gears in our own shop but we still do not garuntee that any aftermarket gear is going to run 100% quiet in any vehicle. Now without seeing a pattern I cannot comment on the setup one way or the other from Moser but I would be curious to see what the setup looks like. Let me know if we can help.

Jeff
Old 03-03-2009, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

i understand that aftermarket gears are used, but come on at 5 mph the whine is so bad, it cant be mistaken for a little noise, to me it makes no sense for moser to send it out that way in the first place, i would just consider that if you buy a moser gear set you have a real good chance of paying to r&r the gear set a few times before they get it right, or live with the noise, so be prepared for the cost to be way more then it should be, and it will cost you a little for shipping as they moser wont pay what it cost you to send it back!
Old 03-04-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Veteran

This is my 2 cents on gear setup. One can set up a gear set on the bench and the pattern can look great. Then put in the car and it screams.

I simply believe that gear setup is a trial and error process that works best if one knows how to setup gears for their rear end. I believe that most gears can be made very quiet but may require repeated attempts being reset and re-tested. I would not set rearends and ship the out for all the money in the world.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

You know when you have a good product and a friend sees it and then wants one himself? well with my other 9 inch i had , 2 good friends wanted the same 9 inch for their f bodys, i ordered them up for them and helped install them also, they made no noise at all, one of them had a gear change, again no noise, so my experiance is 3 different rears, 6 different gear sets all from the same company for f body 9 inch rears, all ordered and ZERO noise, this was from Currie , well i am not sure Currie sells a 9 inch for a 4th gen with TC ,i am sure i should have found out, i was trying to save a little money by avoiding California sales tax, but it turned out to be a real headache, so with my experiance i would avoid moser if you want a quite rear, if not you will be testing it out for them and might be stuck with a headache
Old 03-05-2009, 09:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must be one of the lucky ones, My moser 9" doesnt whine at all. I got alittle over 1k miles on it.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:18 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BarneyMobile
I must be one of the lucky ones, My moser 9" doesnt whine at all. I got alittle over 1k miles on it.
There are a lot of people who have Moser 9 inch rears that don't have any problems. I have spent over a million dollars with Moser for rears for my customers, most of these rears were 9 inch. I have not had very many that were noisy. Bob
Old 03-06-2009, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
There are a lot of people who have Moser 9 inch rears that don't have any problems. I have spent over a million dollars with Moser for rears for my customers, most of these rears were 9 inch. I have not had very many that were noisy. Bob
I totally agree that there those without problems,if fact i sure hope so, but in my case as you know i got 2 headaches in a row from moser, it is kinda funny as you state, "I have spent over a million dollars with Moser for rears for my customers"

and yet moser would not pay all the money for my return shipping, i had to pay out of my pocket, and it still is not right, again bob thanks for adding in the $20 out of your pocket, but shame on moser, they shortchanged me out of money and a quality product, and i am sure it will continue to happen to others.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:21 PM
9 Second Club

my moser 9" screams like a banshee all the time!
Old 03-06-2009, 07:12 PM
10 Second Club

My M9 was loud since day 1 and I broke it in to a T and then some. I have spoke with Bob@EPP and he got me a return invoice number but due to buying a new house and all the stuff that is associated with it, I haven't had the time to pull the center section and send it in.

If indeed Moser has had mostly quiet rear ends as some vendors are claiming, then they shouldn't have any problem making things right for these "few" that are loud.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
If indeed Moser has had mostly quiet rear ends as some vendors are claiming, then they shouldn't have any problem making things right for these "few" that are loud.
Well said.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its pretty well known that moser's setup sucks outta the box
Old 03-07-2009, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
its pretty well known that moser's setup sucks outta the box
Wish i would have known that before i ordered one , i dont drive my f body much, and now when i have a chance to i dont drive it due to the unpleasent noise that echoes in the car from the moser 9 inch.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Launching!

I bought a moser 9 and it came with a noticable whine. Not really bad but you definitely could hear it on the drive side. I now have between 2500 and 3000 miles on it and you can now hear it screaming over the radio with the t-tops out. The rear has never seen a track or been abused. I just got a new set of gears and a install kit and a local mechanic who has set gears up for me in the past is doing the install. I will try to get back on here in a couple of weeks and let you guys know how it goes.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:03 AM
TECH Resident

I went with a midwest...0 whine it has an alumn strange center section. Also they offer a way better tq arm and crossmember that has 0 noise as well. I have also heard people complain about the tq arms on moser 9's.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

Can some people with a QUIET 9" moser come in here and mention it? Seems we always see people mentions problems, but the ones using em are quiet or just reading other sections. A buncha people saying they got a good one would make many people feel differently I'd imagine.

Quick Reply: Moser 9 inch = Headache