Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Changing a broken stud on a strange 12 bolt?

Old 03-12-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changing a broken stud on a strange 12 bolt?

I did a search and didnt see anything specific to a strange 12 bolt.

one of the studs on my passenger side is fucked up and needs to be swapped out. Does anyone have a walk through of what needs to be done to swap it out? Do we have to drop the axle or just bang it out with a hammer and press a new one in?

TIA.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

Strange uses screw in "studs". You will have to call Strange or someone who stocks their stuff to get the studs. ARPs won't work as they are press in. If you have traction control you can just remove the sensor on the backing plate to get them out. If you don't have trac. control you can use a 90 degree air drill and a step drill bit to drill a hole where the trac. sensors would be mounted. There is a spot on the backing plate that is about the diameter of a quarter, that's where you want to drill the hole. Strange axles are double drilled for the stock size crap studs or 1/2" studs. I would upgrade to the 1/2" studs now for peace of mind. Good luck,

Larry
Old 03-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPRETR2
Strange uses screw in "studs". You will have to call Strange or someone who stocks their stuff to get the studs. ARPs won't work as they are press in. If you have traction control you can just remove the sensor on the backing plate to get them out. If you don't have trac. control you can use a 90 degree air drill and a step drill bit to drill a hole where the trac. sensors would be mounted. There is a spot on the backing plate that is about the diameter of a quarter, that's where you want to drill the hole. Strange axles are double drilled for the stock size crap studs or 1/2" studs. I would upgrade to the 1/2" studs now for peace of mind. Good luck,

Larry
ARP has a set of 1/2" screw-in studs (got them from Summit Racing) - I have a set waiting to go in when I get the time or patience.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
ARP has a set of 1/2" screw-in studs (got them from Summit Racing) - I have a set waiting to go in when I get the time or patience.
Good to know, I couldn't find an ARP to save my life when I was looking.

Search this Thread