Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear axle moving in and out!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear axle moving in and out!

Well I have a slight issue with the rear on my car. I recently noticed a scrape/screeching noise from my driver side caliper. I took it apart today and noticed that the caliper was rubbing the rotor. I took the caliper off to see if there was any damage and then noticed the axle pulls out about 1/4" but then stops. My wheel can move back and forth in the wheel well! There's way to much play which is causing the rotor to move out and hit the caliper!

I searched the forum and came across this thread. The problem is identical to what I have:
http://f-body.com/forum/showthread....ight=axle+moves

The guy noted at the end that it was the posi unit. Do you think this is what happened to my car? I need to know what I should do in this scenario. I don't have the money to buy an Eaton Posi unit. Which posi unit will work in my car used... 93-02 z28/ss? I can find a low mileage unit on ebay.

While I'm in their I'm going to swap the 3.73's for 4:10's. All of the bearing and seals were done about 35000 miles ago too, should I replace them?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-12-2009, 07:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

C-clips can come loose, you usually have to push
the axle in pretty hard to get them out on purpose
but **** happens. Pull the cover and see if you have
an "extra".
Old 03-13-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either the c clip or the spacer are worn - pull the cover and see what you have.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

The C clips do look worn, you can feel where they actually have worn down. I'm going to pick up two new ones tomorrow at the dealer.

Which spacers? The two that hold the posi unit in place?

Also, should the axle move in and out just a little bit or should it have no movement at all back and forth.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

my c clip rear end always moved a little I thought it was normal. the cclips dont fit in perfectly tight.

EDIT and isnt the caliper supposed to touch the rotor? Thats where the brake pads are, right? if your caliper is hitting the rotor then you must not have brake pads, or im just having difficulty understanding what you're talking about. the caliper squeezed on the pads to stop the rotor from moving.

are you sure its just not your squeelers letting you know your pads are getting too thin?

the "spacers" holding the diff in place are actually shims. dont take any of that apart or youll be towing your car to the nearest gear shop.

Last edited by jermzz; 03-13-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

The pads and rotors are only about 8 months old. This grinding just started about a month ago, there is still plenty of meat on the pads.

The rotor is being pushed out with the axle a little to far. I know it sounds weird but you can actually see the wear marks on the rotor. The axle slides out maybe 1/8" more than normal and the rotor is pushed against the caliper where it holds the pads.

All of the bearings and shims were replaced about 35000 miles ago with my gears.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

also be sure to check your pin that goes between the axle ends. Check for any wear or damage, as well as the carrier itself.

Quick Reply: Rear axle moving in and out!