Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Which differential

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which differential

which differential should i have installed in new 9"? It's a weekend street car that sees the track about six times a year. Drag radials with 100 wet shot
Old 03-17-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd either go 35-spline locker or spool...
Old 03-17-2009, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Detroit Locker or a spool as mentioned. With your setup, I think 35 spline might be a bit extreme but you could always grow into them lol. If you decide to go with the 35 splines, make sure your center section is equipped for the larger 3.25" carrier bearings.

Mike
Old 03-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Detroit Locker or a spool as mentioned. With your setup, I think 35 spline might be a bit extreme but you could always grow into them lol. If you decide to go with the 35 splines, make sure your center section is equipped for the larger 3.25" carrier bearings.

Mike
The spool is $300+ less than locker, so what makes the locker better?
Old 03-17-2009, 06:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i had to choose between the two, i would say a locker. But my personal choice is a tru- trac.

spools and lockers are not as "street freindly" as a tru-trac. for the simple fact that when the road is wet, you are gonna have a hard time keeping the car between the ditches. If you know what i mean. with a spool, both rear tires are locked, thus making the car harder to control. not mentioning making sharp turns will also be a slight challenge. The locker has some advantages, as well as disadvantages too, but the tru-trac is the way to go.

i know, i know someone is gonna get up here and say " tru-tracs are junk!" well, i run one in my 12 bolt, made PLENTY of 9 sec. passes with no problems.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not a 12 bolt anyway?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by drew01ss
The spool is $300+ less than locker, so what makes the locker better?
spool is just a hunk of machined metal with a provision to put gears and axles...rear wheels are locked together...

lockers have provisions to allow the two rear wheels to turn independently around turns...
Old 03-18-2009, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6

Mike
IMO...best to get the bigger setup since it really doesn't cost any more and if you do make more power down the road, upgrading requires just about the whole center to be changed due to the carrier bearing differences.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:03 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeRed2000SS
if i had to choose between the two, i would say a locker. But my personal choice is a tru- trac.

spools and lockers are not as "street freindly" as a tru-trac. for the simple fact that when the road is wet, you are gonna have a hard time keeping the car between the ditches. If you know what i mean. with a spool, both rear tires are locked, thus making the car harder to control. not mentioning making sharp turns will also be a slight challenge. The locker has some advantages, as well as disadvantages too, but the tru-trac is the way to go.

i know, i know someone is gonna get up here and say " tru-tracs are junk!" well, i run one in my 12 bolt, made PLENTY of 9 sec. passes with no problems.
I will be one of those guys.

The Tru Trac has blown twice in my 12 bolt due to a wheel hop issue. The track guy didnt put enough water down and I set the line lock, revved up and dumped and it wheel hopped something horrible. Thats what did it both times.

If you never run into that issue, then I would think you would be fine.

I would say avoid it at all cost, put a regular Eaton Posi, for the 99% of street use your going to do with it.