Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser axle assembly help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moser axle assembly help

So I am keeping my factory brakes (car is a 2002 T/A Firehawk) but for the life me can't figure out how the bearings are to be pressed ( i know professionally) but what has me stumped is the order of assembly. Moser provides instructions but vaguely and an equally vague picture diagram. So it says the caliper mounting plate, then o ring and so forth. Can someone please guide me on this, because during mock up, and using the notes from the install on EPP website (that guy had used his lt1 brakes) the caliper mounting plate will be a royal pita to bolt in with the supplied t bolts if you have to have the bearings pressed with them on. Reason being, zero clearance for any ratchet or wrench to tighten the bolts with the axle shaft pressed on with it attached.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by no1izspeshl
So I am keeping my factory brakes (car is a 2002 T/A Firehawk) but for the life me can't figure out how the bearings are to be pressed ( i know professionally) but what has me stumped is the order of assembly. Moser provides instructions but vaguely and an equally vague picture diagram. So it says the caliper mounting plate, then o ring and so forth. Can someone please guide me on this, because during mock up, and using the notes from the install on EPP website (that guy had used his lt1 brakes) the caliper mounting plate will be a royal pita to bolt in with the supplied t bolts if you have to have the bearings pressed with them on. Reason being, zero clearance for any ratchet or wrench to tighten the bolts with the axle shaft pressed on with it attached.
Aren't there holes in the axle that you can line up with the nuts? Use an extension? I don't remember how I did mine. Maybe I just used an open end wrench. This is where the t-bolts come in handy.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:52 PM
11 Second Club

Backing plate goes on 1st. Make sure its the correct one. Next the bearing with the oring side closest to the backing plate. Then the press ring. When it gets pressed on it will only go so far and will stop. I think there is a lip that seats against. Anyway, when you install the axle into the housing you have a enough room for an open ended wrench to fit. Don't use the box end cause it'll probably get stuck. The t-bolts ended up not being long enough to use a lock washer so I just used loctite. Oh, and to get the nuts on the ebrake shoes will have to be rotated down and out of the way. Hope this helps.

Eric
Old 03-23-2009, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Dont forget your reluctor rings if your keeping TCS. But you can get the locks on the t-bolts, 1st time is annoying, after that its a breeze. But yes...use an open end wrench and take your time
Old 03-24-2009, 07:18 PM
12 Second Club

There was a pic on here somewhere of the assemby order I don't remember the thread. I think there may be a pic on the EPP website also. Give me a call and let me know how it's going......
Old 03-24-2009, 07:26 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madclown
There was a pic on here somewhere of the assemby order I don't remember the thread. I think there may be a pic on the EPP website also. Give me a call and let me know how it's going......
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145

The step by step instructions, with pictures can be found at the above link. Bob
Old 03-24-2009, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Thank you. All of you guys, I appreciate it.