Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Possible that the stock torque arm can hit the u joint during hard right turns?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009 | 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

Default Possible that the stock torque arm can hit the u joint during hard right turns?

I installed a moser 12 bolt about 2 years ago, but in the last few weeks, the rear has started to feel loose. Then this weekend while taking a few hard right turns, I hear this hammering coming from under the tunnel in the backseat. I get to my friends, and he says it looks like the torque arm is bent, which may makes some sense since it is the only stock part in the rear suspension/drivetrain and I have not checked the bolts in while. Yet he says is not terrible.

So I guess has anyone else experienced anything like this?
It does not feel like there is anything wrong with the limited slip, and the noise seems to be coming from near the u joint when I hear it from inside the car.

IF a new torque arm will solve my problem, who sells the most cost effective or best matched to a moser 12 bolt adjustable torque arm?

Thanks
Old 04-20-2009 | 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

First you need to make sure exactly what the problem is. Start by looking to see if something has been hitting the u-joint. Are there fresh scratches or dings on anything? I had an exhaust system clamp come loose once and my pipe hit the joint.
Old 04-20-2009 | 04:37 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I'd check the four torque arm bolts that bolt the torque arm to the Moser 12 bolt, as they can come loose. Once these bolts are loose they can cause a noise when turning just like you have described. Bob
Old 04-20-2009 | 10:08 AM
Internet Mechanic

When I had my TQ arm hitting something it was a BMR Adjustible on a moser 12 bolt. B<R has 2 sets of holes and with the Moser Casting it does not allow it to tuck in, and I had a rear seat belt bolt rubbing/popping on hard turns. A person behind me could hear it clearly.

I took the TQ arm and cut down the 1st set to allow for the 2nd to bolt in and fine ever since on a A4 94 Camaro and the same TQ arm and rear in my M6 Trans am.

As far as stock, you can bend those arms but something must have gotten tweaked.
Old 04-20-2009 | 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

Well it turns out the panhard bar was missing a bolt. And I am guessing the torque arm was hitting the u joint. But I got another bolt in there, and I can check out the rest of the carnage in the next couple weeks. The car feels so much better now out on the road.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts, I am still not sure how I or my friend missed the panhard rod missing a bolt.
Old 04-21-2009 | 11:30 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

you need to check the torque arm bolts as well!