Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

broke my mosher 12-bolt

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 06:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Noyzee
You got to be shitting me.
I just did my entire rear over with the Moser spool, 33 splin,all new berings,new gears,new yoke's. If it goes I will be soooo Pissed. Is moser going to do anything?
The axles are warrentied 33 splins are, But is anything ealse?
If this happens to me and Moser doesnt fix it, I will do some very stupid things.
well, the mosher had been in since march but only had about 500 miles and 12 or so lauches on it. I'm guessing they won't do crap about, especially since it's been in the car for 9 months.
Old 11-01-2003, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
HEY what is wrong with dirt lips! .

Nothing if you are one!

We've got some 10000+ members here and there are like 5 of us who know each other personally that are OWNING this section!!!!!! Power to KS and MO and that guy in FL.
Old 11-01-2003, 02:00 PM
8 second mod

HEY HEY, Mass here to.
But i cant believe a big company like moser wont stand behind there product.
As for a previos statment, racing, stuff brekes.
This is true, But moser makes there rears out like they are indestructable, and they wont hold 5 hard hits. That is crap. If they said chances are good that this rear will break, then it would go like this./ Ok, then what will work? oh a spool, ok give me that. Then it still breaks!!!!!!! Thats crap ohla!
Old 11-02-2003, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2000RATA
To add a little to this, when I pulled mine (moser 12 bolt) apart the carrier bearings were WAY, WAY, WAY to loose!!!!!!!!!!!!! There was no preload on them what so ever. I called Moser about it and they acted like I was speaking in tongues. The guy on the phone MUST have had down syndrome or something. Maybe just full on retardation. Whatever his mental ailment, the guy didn't seem to understand "preload" and "carrier bearings." He totally blew off any chance it was their fault. So I'm to believe that these are either "relaxing" after a while (since they are new castings) and the bearings are getting loose, or Moser isn't taking the proper time to set them up. Either way I'd be for checking them out soon after some breakin miles or a few good launches to see if things are what they should be.

Chris

Maybe it would be good to add some shim to both sides of the carrier just for good measure when buying one of these. You have a range of useable bearing load, go for the upper range when it's new. It'll relax during the break-in. Also make sure the shims are seated completely so you don't tighten the bearing caps onto the lip of the shim rather than the bearing race. In stock GM's it isn't an issue because the bearing cap is narrowed on the inside. Don't trust Moser or Strange to set it up.

BTW, good info guys. Lessons learned.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I took my 4.10's out and installed 4.56's in their place. It went back together with the correct preload this time.

Chris
Old 11-02-2003, 11:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A strong way to setup the rear is to use a solid crush collar and 30 inch pounds preload on it(with new bearings).Also set pinion depth .002-.006 shallower than optimum.That way under hard launches the pinion won't pull in too far.Also set the backlash tight,as in .006-.008.

I did this on my last rebuild.The rear whines alittle on accel but after 30 hard launches it still sounds the same(It's actually getting quieter).Every other time I did the rear it was quiet at first till a few launches,then serious whine.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I always set them up per the specs. I do try to go for the "tight" side. They always settle and loosen up.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:09 AM
11 Second Club

drove my car around a little this weekend and no gear whine after beating on the moser 9 inch. with the 12 bolt, after 1 or 2 hard launches, it screamed at me!
Old 11-04-2003, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EVIL
drove my car around a little this weekend and no gear whine after beating on the moser 9 inch. with the 12 bolt, after 1 or 2 hard launches, it screamed at me!

I still believe it's in the setup. The 9" is still a gear set. Nothing different from the 12 bolt. Except the location of the pinion which puts it too low causing it to try to push the pinion out the front of the case but that's another issue.

Of almost 10 different brands of gears that I have intalled in various ratios from rock crawling Jeeps to highway beaters, the only gear whine I have ever came across was from a verified "bad" set of gears. They ended up being too "hard." It doesn't matter if they are in 9" Ford, 8 3/4" Chrysler, or 12 bolt Chevy. They all have pinion depth, backlash, and wear pattern. They all setup the same. If it's wrong it can whine. And not to mention the amount of "whine" is relative and subject to the listener. What's bad to me might not be bad to you.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000RATA
I still believe it's in the setup. The 9" is still a gear set. Nothing different from the 12 bolt. Except the location of the pinion which puts it too low causing it to try to push the pinion out the front of the case but that's another issue.

Of almost 10 different brands of gears that I have intalled in various ratios from rock crawling Jeeps to highway beaters, the only gear whine I have ever came across was from a verified "bad" set of gears. They ended up being too "hard." It doesn't matter if they are in 9" Ford, 8 3/4" Chrysler, or 12 bolt Chevy. They all have pinion depth, backlash, and wear pattern. They all setup the same. If it's wrong it can whine. And not to mention the amount of "whine" is relative and subject to the listener. What's bad to me might not be bad to you.

then why is it that when i got my 12 bolt set up, it was always quiet until the 1st time i launched on it at the track. something has to move on it to cause this.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:24 PM
10 Second Club

the rear end shop got it up in the air today and I need a new SPOOL and axle bearings. Total cost to fix everything is about $750. getting the rest overnighted so I can still make the Shootout
Old 11-04-2003, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, that's some crap! You had the aluminum spool and demolished it, thought we got spools so we didn't have carrier issues!!!! Kind of rediculous if you ask me!
Old 11-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Launching!

this is why i still have the ol 10 bolt haha not i wanna freakin 9 inch
Old 11-05-2003, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EVIL
then why is it that when i got my 12 bolt set up, it was always quiet until the 1st time i launched on it at the track. something has to move on it to cause this.

I don't know. It has to be in the setup. If a hard lauch caused it to make noise all of a sudden it changed the gear "mesh" all of a sudden. So something must have been loose. Not falling out loose but just not right. Sorry you have had so much trouble. It's not right that for so much money these are not assembled better. I've been in the drag racing scene for many years. I've seen 12 bolts take WAY MORE abuse that what these LS1's are dishing out. So to hear these stories makes me sick. It should put a bad name out for the company not the style of rearend itself. A 1.5 lauch should be a JOKE for an aftermarket rearend.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 383ss
the rear end shop got it up in the air today and I need a new SPOOL and axle bearings. Total cost to fix everything is about $750. getting the rest overnighted so I can still make the Shootout
I wish I could have been up there to help you out with that thing. For that price I could have taken a day off to help you out!

Quick Reply: broke my mosher 12-bolt