Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

LOUD 9" Rear-end....Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrome355z
Holy **** dude.
yea.....
Old 05-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holly hell that is loud. Mine does whine but it was not bad at all till i put on my umi tunnel mount tq arm and now its louder from 58-68mph but from what i read it is common with these type tq arms. What is your pinion angle set at maybe you have to much pinion angle causing the vibration at higher speeds?
Old 05-11-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow that is loud. Simply the gears are a mile off on the setup and you can rest assured they are trashed.

Get a new set.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

That really sucks ***. DTS said it would be 600 for new gears installed... What do you think?
Old 05-11-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Haans249
That really sucks ***. DTS said it would be 600 for new gears installed... What do you think?
1. Tell DTS to go to Hell. From hat you have posted, I would not trust him to set up a lawn chair.
2. Buy a new set of gears.
3. Learn how to set the gears up your self. You can post pics of the patterns on the board and we will help you out. The 9" is the easiest gears to set up.

I learned on the 10 bolt which is much tougher than the 9". If you want it done right, do it yourself.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:51 PM
FormerVendor

Glad its funny, i'll laugh once its fixed.
No laugh intended at you, was directed at the work done by DLS. As far as that noise, that is insane and unacceptable.

Originally Posted by wrd1972
1. Tell DTS to go to Hell. From hat you have posted, I would not trust him to set up a lawn chair.
3. Learn how to set the gears up your self. You can post pics of the patterns on the board and we will help you out. The 9" is the easiest gears to set up.

I learned on the 10 bolt which is much tougher than the 9". If you want it done right, do it yourself.
I think you mean DLS not DTS.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks Jeff.
Yes DLS.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

I have a 9" from DLS and whines like hell at 70 mph (right where I want to cruise on the highway) I can't view your video because I'm at work, I'd like to compare the two. DLS customer service sucks *** once you actually are done buying from them. Before the sale they're very helpful...but once they have your $ it's a whole different story.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ynkssws6
I have a 9" from DLS and whines like hell at 70 mph (right where I want to cruise on the highway) I can't view your video because I'm at work, I'd like to compare the two. DLS customer service sucks *** once you actually are done buying from them. Before the sale they're very helpful...but once they have your $ it's a whole different story.
I bought mine around 3 years ago from dls and so far has never had any issues besides it whines from 58-68 but didnt notice it as much until i installed the umi tunnel mount tq arm and it pretty much made the original whine ALOT more noticable but from what i have read this is normal with tunnel mounts. Not as loud as yours but you can def her it.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

+1

Dude, I am a manager at Harbor Freight, and we've got a lot of the tools that make rearend work possible... for cheap. Dial indicator, magnetic base, bearing separator, etc. Best part is that you'd get to work on a bench, and not on your back. Plus, sources of complete howto writeups on building a 9" chunk can be found allllll over the net, libraries, and grocery stores Chances are, 3 out of the 20 people in line at walmart know how to build 'em too.

As I write this I am thinking about buying a chunk to build myself so I can save some serious $ when I get a midwest rear.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

I agree, I am not going back to Scott. He already said he "fixed" it, but it didn't sound any different, and he wasn't even there when I went to pick up the car.

Originally Posted by Jawsgear
No laugh intended at you, was directed at the work done by DLS. As far as that noise, that is insane and unacceptable.

I think you mean DLS not DTS.
No problem on the laugh, I didn't take any offense haha. Just being sarcastic, no worries.

Originally Posted by ynkssws6

The whine on mine is pretty hard to beat, but its there for you to check out, so feel free.

Originally Posted by 2001z
I bought mine around 3 years ago from dls and so far has never had any issues besides it whines from 58-68 but didnt notice it as much until i installed the umi tunnel mount tq arm and it pretty much made the original whine ALOT more noticable but from what i have read this is normal with tunnel mounts. Not as loud as yours but you can def her it.

You must be one of the lucky few. I don't have a tunnel mount torque arm, either, and my **** is still screaming like a banshee.

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
+1

Dude, I am a manager at Harbor Freight, and we've got a lot of the tools that make rearend work possible... for cheap. Dial indicator, magnetic base, bearing separator, etc. Best part is that you'd get to work on a bench, and not on your back. Plus, sources of complete howto writeups on building a 9" chunk can be found allllll over the net, libraries, and grocery stores Chances are, 3 out of the 20 people in line at walmart know how to build 'em too.

As I write this I am thinking about buying a chunk to build myself so I can save some serious $ when I get a midwest rear.
While I don't have 600 dollars to spend on a "possible" fix from DTS, I also don't have the facilities to be able to pull my pig and do the whole setup myself. I'm really kinda in a bind, and i will probably just sit with it for a while...and wear ear-plugs haha.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

Before I start ranting about what it means to take care of a customer, I think we need to let Scott have some say in how he's going to take care of you.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, I am not going back to Scott. He already said he "fixed" it, but it didn't sound any different, and he wasn't even there when I went to pick up the car.

No problem on the laugh, I didn't take any offense haha. Just being sarcastic, no worries.

The whine on mine is pretty hard to beat, but its there for you to check out, so feel free.

You must be one of the lucky few. I don't have a tunnel mount torque arm, either, and my **** is still screaming like a banshee.

While I don't have 600 dollars to spend on a "possible" fix from DTS, I also don't have the facilities to be able to pull my pig and do the whole setup myself. I'm really kinda in a bind, and i will probably just sit with it for a while...and wear ear-plugs haha.
You mean DLS....yup, there's something wrong with that rear, obviously, but did you also say you were running a poly trans mount? Get the rear fixed and if you're running a poly mount, try a rubber one.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
You mean DLS....yup, there's something wrong with that rear, obviously, but did you also say you were running a poly trans mount? Get the rear fixed and if you're running a poly mount, try a rubber one.
No, I mean DTS, I went there to have them take it for a drive, and they said 600 for new gears installed and no guarantee they can make it any quieter. As far as the poly mount is concerned, I'm running a torque arm relocation bracket from UMI, and a poly torque arm front bushing is what I meant.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, I mean DTS, I went there to have them take it for a drive, and they said 600 for new gears installed and no guarantee they can make it any quieter. As far as the poly mount is concerned, I'm running a torque arm relocation bracket from UMI, and a poly torque arm front bushing is what I meant.
Sorry, I wasn't paying attention.

FWIW, I ran a TA mount relocation with a poly TA bushing and the stock rear and it was pretty damn quiet.

I don't know what to tell you at this point. Like the guys are saying, if you think you can swing it, maybe it's time to take matters into your own hands and DIY.

I may be in the same boat as you. I have a chuck set up by <yikes>...Moser and will be giving it it's first spin this weekend. If she's a screamer.....
Old 05-13-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

I wish all the best of luck for you!
Old 05-13-2009, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

haans,

how loud is it, like can a stock stereo pretty much cover that up without full volume? Mine whines but really only on light acceleration, you hear it but I don't "think" its that loud.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

you're going to need a new gear set to quiet it down. sucks, but i can guarantee you, at least 99% anyway, that the noise will go away or at least quiet WAY down.

the reason is the gears weren't set up right, or at least not good enough. once the rear end was used and the gears wore in, the pattern became permanent. when you have the problem "fixed," he probably DID set the gear back up right, BUT they were already worn. it works KIND OF like a record player. the ring gear gets a set of grooves worn into it and the pinion rubbing on the ring gear create the audible sound. the only way to correct it, is to replace it.

i have a 9" i got from EPP (moser rear end) with their aluminum center section. it did make SOME noise, but very very quiet and not distracting. they came to me with the yellow paint still on the gears so i could visually see the wear pattern right out of the box with no effort.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
you're going to need a new gear set to quiet it down. sucks, but i can guarantee you, at least 99% anyway, that the noise will go away or at least quiet WAY down.
I think yo meant to say "that the noise will NOT go away or at least quiet WAY down".
Old 05-13-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

check pinion angle and the u joints and ****, sounds like its not balanced and that the driveshaft is vibrating like a ****

ps- you dont want race gears for street driving, they are very birtle and are only strong for hard launches and will shatter under normal driving condition

Quick Reply: LOUD 9" Rear-end....Help