Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

LOUD 9" Rear-end....Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
check pinion angle and the u joints and ****, sounds like its not balanced and that the driveshaft is vibrating like a ****

ps- you dont want race gears for street driving, they are very birtle and are only strong for hard launches and will shatter under normal driving condition
No way dude.
The sound in the video is a bad set of gears. I will bet the farm on it.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

didnt see the vid before- thats def the gears- mine is almost that loud but its a diff kind of hum- i also have 4.11 is a 12 bolt- 2 items that love to whistle
Old 05-14-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I save up some more money, I'll get the gears replaced. Any recommendation for a rear shop in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area? I'm moving from Detroit to there in about 3 weeks.

As far as the driveshaft, I thought it was it for a while, but its a PST driveshaft and a expensive piece, so i doubt its it. But I'm going to get it rebalanced regardless when I have the gears replaced. Are motive gears good gears to use?
Old 05-14-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vettett15
haans,

how loud is it, like can a stock stereo pretty much cover that up without full volume? Mine whines but really only on light acceleration, you hear it but I don't "think" its that loud.
If I BLAST the music it can "cover" up the sound, but you can definitely still hear it. Its pretty much impossible to cover up the sound its soooooo loud, it can LITERALLY hurt you ears. If I were to guess db level, it would probably be 65-80 db's. With the windows down, you can hear a very loud whistle, high pitched whistle coming from my car, stupid rear end.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

No comment from the builder yet?
Old 05-16-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
No comment from the builder yet?
I haven't bothered to contact him again, and I don't think he's on the site anymore.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Teching In

hey i got a moser 9 with lockers 35 spline and 4.11 i know exactly what your car sounds like man.. i'm haveing a new set of gears put in early next week... i got a pretty good sound system and with that and the cut out open the rear end still drowns out both of them... it sucks takes all the fun out of driveing it... best of luck to ya man..
Old 05-19-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im taking my Moser 9: with tru trac and 31 splines for its first ride tomorrow. I REALLY hope its nothing like that after its broken in. I got to see the wear pattern on the gears when it arrived, they 'looked' good to me.

Sorry to hear you got screwed over man.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by C Murda
my moser rear is NOISY AS HELL! that damn gear whine kills the pleasure of driving it on the highway. dunno if yu said you had a moser or not but i read somewhere on hear that the center sections are set up at moser just to get them shipped out and that to be truly satisfied you should have it set up at a professioal drivetrain/axle shop s there will be no noise. i have 4.11s and my god i wish i brought it to someone to re-set it up. i just assembled my rear and drove. big mistake

Why a Strange or Midwest will go in mine when finances allow....
Old 06-27-2010, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

man, my **** is the same damn way and I just put it in. Im getting upset just seeing all this crap. i just put it in last week and only was good for a few hours till all the noise came up. let me know what fixed it man so i dont have to deal with the same crap. was thinking about going to thicker oil till i get it fixed to see if that would help..
Old 06-30-2010, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Haans249
Here is the video.....so loud it drone's out my exhaust hahaha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX63NQsG1mg
OMFG! Exact same issue here! Though mine started within 500 miles of install. Gears were set up by MOSER. As soon as you let off, the sound goes away.

More than one peep has this issue. You are not alone. This is the way I see it.

1 Folks are setting our gears wrong, to include Moser and this guy.

2 The Ford 9 with Aftermarket TQ is amplifying noise like a mother *****.

3 Pinion Bearing goes poopy due to incorrect Pinion angle on the TQ Arm. Mine was set incorrectly by a Local San Antonio Performance Shop TWICE.

What do ya think?

Last edited by Camaro Junky; 06-30-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by justinj
man, my **** is the same damn way and I just put it in. Im getting upset just seeing all this crap. i just put it in last week and only was good for a few hours till all the noise came up. let me know what fixed it man so i dont have to deal with the same crap. was thinking about going to thicker oil till i get it fixed to see if that would help..
HA! I put thicker oil and 4 QRTS and the seals started leaking!
Old 06-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since this thread appears to be from last summer...did this ever get resolved? My Strange 12-bolt seems to be getting louder by the day...
Old 06-30-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Since this thread appears to be from last summer...did this ever get resolved? My Strange 12-bolt seems to be getting louder by the day...
You are a Moderator. Sir can you please create a sticky. Haans249 has created a vid and there more than a hand full of peeps with the exact issue and an unknown fix. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Camaro Junky
You are a Moderator. Sir can you please create a sticky. Haans249 has created a vid and there more than a hand full of peeps with the exact issue and an unknown fix. Thanks!
I am a moderator, but I am not the moderator for this section. I can't edit, modify, move, or do anything else to threads in this section.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I am a moderator, but I am not the moderator for this section. I can't edit, modify, move, or do anything else to threads in this section.
Who can then?
Old 06-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

jimmyblue, and there are a few super mods (although I don't know who they are) that could do it as well.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:17 PM
9 Second Club

Hmm I have a 9inch and I don't hear any noise coming from mine. I will keep my fingers crossed though. The video he posted shows and proves that there is obviously a problem.

Last edited by 02sleeperz28; 07-11-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Default mwc rear end

U know the rear end I got from midwest chassis and performance is pretty quiet. Fab 9" trac loc posi, 4.11 richmond gears, 31 spline strange axles. Maybe u should send ur thrd member into them. My friend had a smaller volume noise and he kept addin some friction additive till it completly shut up, I think I'm going to do the same when I get back cause I just hit 500 mi and wanna put synthetic in, ill probably use two bottles of friction or three when I change the fluid and I think it will be quiter then the stock ten bolt noise. But food for thought add some friction additive to make it a tiny bit more bareable till its fixed, good luck.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChevyAllTheWay
U know the rear end I got from midwest chassis and performance is pretty quiet. Fab 9" trac loc posi, 4.11 richmond gears, 31 spline strange axles. Maybe u should send ur thrd member into them. My friend had a smaller volume noise and he kept addin some friction additive till it completly shut up, I think I'm going to do the same when I get back cause I just hit 500 mi and wanna put synthetic in, ill probably use two bottles of friction or three when I change the fluid and I think it will be quiter then the stock ten bolt noise. But food for thought add some friction additive to make it a tiny bit more bareable till its fixed, good luck.
I will buy some and put 3-4 bottles and see what happens.

Quick Reply: LOUD 9" Rear-end....Help