Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Please give me good news!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please give me good news!

Hi this is my first day on LS1 Tech. I have spent many hours now searching and reading other guys' input and advice, but I still have a question conceerning the 10 bolt rear. Thank you and sorry for being "repetitive". Please give me input:

I bought my 2002 Z28 M6 in December, knowing the rear was bad. It is fixed now, and 1000-1500 miles after the rebuild I put in Redline 75W90 gear oil with limited slip additive.

Currently I have SLP intake and LM catback w/ hi-flow cats for the engine. As for suspension I have a adj. TA and relocation bracket, LCAs, SFC, Panhard bar, and Strut tower brace.

Recently, my friend (w/ an '01 Cobra) talked me into going to an open test and tune, and after 4 passes and a best of 13.65 with completely shot tires (seriously, they are SHOT! <1/32"), I got hooked a little (no pun intended). I just ordered BF Goodgrich g-force Super Sport A/S 275/40/ZR18 tires for the rear. And before the next track day, I intend on installing some LT headers and getting a tune. I DID NOT 'launch' at any rpm and DID NOT dump the clutch. Also I spun a lot!

I know the 10 bolt is not great and I know some guys make it into the 10s, but I cannot find info to answer my concern:

Can my 10 bolt handle my mods, tires, and planned mods if I DO NOT dump the clutch or launch at anything much higher than idle? I am not asking "how long will the 10 bolt last" but rather "will my 10 bolt last with what I am doing". I baby my car and WILL do so at the track (NO hard launches/shifts) until I can get a 12 bolt or 9"...

I hope with these planned mods (LTs and tune and new tires) and more importantly more practice I can get into the low 13s or high 12s. Thank you again.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to be honest, the 10 bolts can break at any point. some people have them break when they are completely stock, I've seen a couple run in the 11's and high 10's, I think you just have to be lucky, but it's hard to say if it will last. If you take care of it I'm sure it can take it, but track use will obviously take a toll on it.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Man i hear what you saying i just redid my gears in my t/a. Yes mine is a DD, i get to the track a handfull of times a year. I baby the **** out of my car, again no dumbs nothing over idle really. Really just dont throw sticky tires on her and dont dump it and I say you will be fine. A big thing I say is check the backlash in your gears, make sure there put in right. The only reason my gears shattered was because i had about quarter inch of play in them. And im pushing 425/428 for over 4 years now.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't dump the clutch at high RPMs and you don't do burnouts befor your runs you should be fine.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks a lot guys - that's what I like to hear! haha. I guess I kind of figured as much as that I just need reassuring. Like you guys are saying, just don't abuse it. I will eventually get a 12 bolt or 9" but right now that's not in the works. I can't imagine dumping the clutch, and I wouldn't do burnouts in street tires, so hopefully I'll be alright.

My gears should have the backlash, shims, and tolerances, etc all done properly because although I like to "do it myself" I brought the car in to have the rear done to a shop I trust (two of the guys there have 4th gen Camaros themselves).

Thanks for replying!
Old 05-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Launching!

My tranny went out while the 10 bolt is hanging in there.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just as long as you don't dump the clutch you should be ok. My stock geared 10 bolt with just a girdle went 10.5@136mph with a 1.67 60' with a M6 making 600+ RWHP
Old 05-07-2009, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry about the trans xbcrguy182x. I understand that the 4L60 trans will go before the rear compared to the T56 trans which is opposite. But yeah, I NEVER dump the clutch. From everything I am hearing from you guys and other people, I think I will be alright. I tend to worry about my car though, I'm pretty relaxed about everything else, my car is my baby (like 99% of the guys on here...)

Thanks again!