Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Vibration...still!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have them check the Yokes to see if they are bent in any way, if they are it will cause a major vibration, u can get a chromemoly one for 120, it was the main issue in my vibration problem, got the rear rebuilt and thats what solved most of the problem. now all i got is a whine i need to work out on decel.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:54 PM
11 Second Club

Default !

OK. All fixed! But I feel dumb. I used the wrong tie bolts for the DS to the rear end. Swaped out the correct ones and vibration is gone! Something so simple. I am glad it was not more major. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BADSZ28
OK. All fixed! But I feel dumb. I used the wrong tie bolts for the DS to the rear end. Swaped out the correct ones and vibration is gone! Something so simple. I am glad it was not more major. Thanks for all the replies.
How much did it cost you? Maybe I should consider doing that since it would be well worth it to me, even if it costs a pretty penny. Were you supplied with those tie bolts or did you get them yourself?
Old 06-10-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent. What was wrong with the bolts?
Old 06-10-2009, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

They were the factory U straps. They did not go all the way around, but I did get them to hold the DS on with them and the factory bolts. So there was a gap between the pinion yoke and the strap.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So this allowed the ujoint to move around and cause the vibration?
Old 06-12-2009, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DaddySS
So this allowed the ujoint to move around and cause the vibration?
I guess the bolts may have been flexing since they were not fully engaged to the pinion yoke. I have not driven it yet. These results were from the shop and my brother. I will have it out tonight to know for sure since I know what I was feeling.

Oh, cost was $50 parts and labor. Could have done it myself, but they found it so I figured they deserve the business.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BADSZ28
I guess the bolts may have been flexing since they were not fully engaged to the pinion yoke. I have not driven it yet. These results were from the shop and my brother. I will have it out tonight to know for sure since I know what I was feeling.

Oh, cost was $50 parts and labor. Could have done it myself, but they found it so I figured they deserve the business.

Very COOL...... I’m a shop manager for an independent shop. We get people in all the time that wants us to diagnose the problem for free and just tell them what’s wrong. I charge out the nose to diagnose, people don’t under stand that the diagnosing is the HARDEST part, hell, anybody can hang parts. I will cut back on the diagnostic fee if they proceed with the repairs, but it’s not FREE.

I’m glad to hear you let them fix it as well.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:48 PM
11 Second Club

They said they would not charge unless they started pulling it apart, and in that case they would call.