Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Vibration...still!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Vibration...still!!!

Ok, I have been chasing a vibration for some time now. New DS (mine was short anyhow), new wheels and tires, sqaured the rear end, changed pinion angle, miced the axles, diff and output shaft all good. Still there. The only thing I can think of is the pinion yoke. But I never heard of that as an issue. Any other ideas? I am trying to avoid taking the car to a shop, but I am ready to quite. Where should I take it? Driveline shop, speed shop??? Nothing under the car is factory so dealer is out. They will just tell me to put the stock stuff back in.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:09 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had a customer that had a vibration which turned out to be his clutch assembly. The clutch assembly on his car was out of balance. Tracking down vibrations can be a real time consuming hassle. Bob
Old 05-23-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

i had the same problem on my lt1 car.it vibrated when i bought it and i put 3 ds in it, a moser 9in,umi adjustable tourque arm, rebuilt trany t56 inc.,rebuilt the motor,all new mounts,i still had the same damn problem.now i have the moser 9in in my ss and i reused the ds out of my lt1 car and its vibrating now im gonna buy a crommoly shaft from strange and pray to god it stops
Old 05-23-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

loose nuts behind the wheel
Old 05-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Banned

My old car I chassed a vibration problem for months.

Turned out my cheap aftermarket aluminum crank pulley wore out and started to wobble/became unbalanced.... It gave me a bad vibration that i chased changing axles and etc ....

Just sugesting an area you might want to check if you have any aftermarket pulleys or a elect waterpump...
Old 05-26-2009, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

This is deff in the rear or after the trans. Not the motor. It goes with the speed of the car regardless of gear selection or rpm of the engine. It is different from accell and coast. Worse on coast. Nothing is loose that I have found.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BADSZ28
This is deff in the rear or after the trans. Not the motor. It goes with the speed of the car regardless of gear selection or rpm of the engine. It is different from accell and coast. Worse on coast. Nothing is loose that I have found.
Yeah I have a vibration over 60 that I cant figure out. I pulled the whole kmember/engine/trans/rear axle out, rebuilt the trans including new tailshaft bushing, new driveshaft, crank pulley, motor mounts, trans mount, brakes, clutch, pinion angle, wheels, rear axle was bent so I had that straightened. Put it all back together and it was 95% gone. Had to change the slave so I pulled the trans and now its back again in full force! I give up. I'm just going to wait for something to explode when I'm doing 80 down the freeway and then fix whatever it is, which probably wont fix it, because that would be too easy
Old 05-26-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

God i hate this ****,, same boat here, vibration in any gear around 1800 rpms,, new tires, rear, etc, still there, noises when i turn, ***......:bang :
Old 05-26-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
God i hate this ****,, same boat here, vibration in any gear around 1800 rpms,, new tires, rear, etc, still there, noises when i turn, ***......:bang :
Yours is RPM so its either pulley, clutch, maybe trans. Mine is speed oriented so it really opens up a whole lot more possibilities :\
Old 05-26-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

i feel for ya man,, it sux trying to find the source of these issues.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

i would burn the car to the ground and call the insurance company,you will come out a lot cheaper and less headace.trust me.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:09 AM
TECH Addict

Vibrations are hard because they transmit through everything connected. Usually you can only pinpoint by which part is vibrating harder or the speed of the moving part (drive shaft, axles, outside of tires, all spin at different speeds). The first thing I used to do when I ran a service dept. was to get the vehicle in the air, wheels up, run it up to vibrating speed and feel the rear, trans yoke, watch the driveshaft, the tires etc. and try to determine which part is rotating at the speed of the vibration. You need to be careful of course but that is a good first step.

We then had a drive train balancing unit like the pictured that measured the vibration and through the use of stobes pinpointed where weights for drive shafts etc. needed to go but also helped in zeroing in on problems.

There are shops that specialize in this like the one below - so look in your area, there may be one closer than you think.

Good luck and keep us posted, and I would start by getting it up in the air and closely (and safely) inspecting while it's spinning at the vibrating speed.

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cata...las_vegas.html

http://www.austindrivetrain.com/driveshaft_parts.html
Attached Thumbnails Vibration...still!!!-drive-balance.jpg  
Old 06-06-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the advice DaddySS. Could over tightening the U-Bolts for the driveshaft cause a bad vibration? I was careful to try to torque them to 20 ft/lbs according to denny's driveshaft page, but it is possible that I could have overdone it.

Another small thing, my moser 9" torque arm bracket that is on the housing of the axle is not exactly straight. In order to get my torque arm to bolt up to the mount at the transmission I really have to muscle it into place. I dont remember which way it is off, but it does have to be pushed laterally to get it into place. I believe it is pushed towards the transmission and in order to get it into place, I have to push it towards the drivers side to get the bolts to line up.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've completely given up on tracking the vibrations in my car. I think my problem is the fact the rear is basically solid to the body.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jimmard
Thanks for the advice DaddySS. Could over tightening the U-Bolts for the driveshaft cause a bad vibration? I was careful to try to torque them to 20 ft/lbs according to denny's driveshaft page, but it is possible that I could have overdone it.

Another small thing, my moser 9" torque arm bracket that is on the housing of the axle is not exactly straight. In order to get my torque arm to bolt up to the mount at the transmission I really have to muscle it into place. I dont remember which way it is off, but it does have to be pushed laterally to get it into place. I believe it is pushed towards the transmission and in order to get it into place, I have to push it towards the drivers side to get the bolts to line up.
If you are binding the Ujoint yes - but you'd really have to crank it down to do that. I don't think not having the torque arm perpendicular to the axle will cause a vibration. I thought you mentioned it's worse on decel? That might tell us that it has to do with pinion angle - when you say you changed it - did you set it to the correct spec or just alter it to see if there was a difference?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BADSZ28
do you have a poly trans mount?? I installed a poly trans mount on mine and it now has a bad vibration, went back to a rubber mount and the vibration was gone.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
check the front wheel bearings. i had noise and vibration in the steering wheel when turning at low or high speeds. replaced both front wheel bearing and it fixed that problem...
Old 06-08-2009, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

I finally just took it to a drivetrain shop. They did my shaft and looked at my axles when I was trying to find it on my own. I hope they can determine the issue. At not a lot of cost. I just want to drive my car without problems. Thanks for all the advise. I should have put an angle finder on it before I took it in, but I feel the angle is correct since it has a fixed angle torque arm. But I could be wrong. They will check that first I imagine. Will know more tomorrow.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:01 AM
TECH Regular

keep us posted!
Old 06-09-2009, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

BADZ28 any updates