Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help please, which diff will directly bolt in?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please, which diff will directly bolt in?

Hi guys, the broken diff saga continues...

I've given up on repairing the internals as after being told by my mechanic (admittedly NOT an fbody expert) that I need to get 10 new replacement cogs/gears, I can't find any packs with more than 6.

Also, there are a few diffs on ebay that are not too expensive, I just would like one of you experienced guys to confirm that they will fit as there are some specs listed that I still don't fully understand.

* I know that I would be better off getting a 12bolt or a ford 9" but the truth is I just can't afford one at the moment and I need my car back on the road so that I can get back to work. *

This is my existing (broken) diff: https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...ranny-too.html

Here are a few that I have seen on ebay. None of these are these are the exact one that I am removing from mine (torsen) so can anybody confirm if they are a good or a bad idea:

1 Auburn pro differential:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
'GM 10 bolt, 28spline ,7 1/2 & 7 5/8....3:08 & down pn# 542047' 3:08 & down, does that mean my stock gears are too big a ration for this diff?

2 Eaton Locker Posi

3 3.42 POSI:

Thanks for reading guys, I know that this is probably a stupidly obvious question for some people but I am still new to this game (and loving every minute of it...except when my diff went boom when I hooked up on launch lol).
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a complete year should you neeed it.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
I have a complete year should you neeed it.
Thanks anyway but I just need the diff, I'm tryin to keep the cost down.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

well just sell the car to me for a quid and i will put that one that is on ebay uk on and sell it back to you for a grand lol
Old 08-06-2009, 03:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lutonmatt
well just sell the car to me for a quid and i will put that one that is on ebay uk on and sell it back to you for a grand lol
lol. He wants £500 for it! There's one little cog in my diff that has lost a few teeth. I really don't wanna pay $800 to fix that.

I'm gonna try one of those ebay US ones...it's gonna end up a **** load more expensive if it doesn't fit!

I love havin a musclecar...I've got the best lookin car in my street...even if it is up on jackstands...
Old 08-06-2009, 05:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lutonmatt
Ah, you mean THAT one on ebay uk.
'96 trans am, should fit my '98 formula no problems, might need to do something with the trac control but the FAQ's say it's do-able. I'm buying it...if only it wasn't in Essex!

Last edited by UKFormula; 08-06-2009 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

was going to say 500 quid i was think of buying it before i had the 4th gen so i could put it in my gta

but if you cant turn the trac light off or what ever pops up i might be able to do it with efi live program just need to get a laptop to play with it first before i break any one elses car lol

any way were are you then
Old 08-06-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Here's the deal, all camaro/firbird ten bolt housings are exactly the same from anywhere in the late 80s to the end of production. Exceptions are 3rd gens had 26 spline axles, 4th gens had 28 splines. So since i dont know what year your car is you will have to determine what will work with your axles. Secondly important for you is carrier (posi unit),2 series is for 3.08 and lower which is 2.73 for our cars. Did your car come with 2.73s? or did it come with 3.23s? 3.23s would be a 3 series posi/carrier. So lets say you have a 3.23 4th gen, you would need 3 series 28 spline axle version of any posi and it will fit. Doesnt matter if the housing is from a 6 cylinder or 8 the casing from the two is the same, only difference is whether they are 3 channel or 4 channel pertaining to traction control which determines where the sensors are located.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Here's the deal, all camaro/firbird ten bolt housings are exactly the same from anywhere in the late 80s to the end of production. Exceptions are 3rd gens had 26 spline axles, 4th gens had 28 splines. So since i dont know what year your car is you will have to determine what will work with your axles. Secondly important for you is carrier (posi unit),2 series is for 3.08 and lower which is 2.73 for our cars. Did your car come with 2.73s? or did it come with 3.23s? 3.23s would be a 3 series posi/carrier. So lets say you have a 3.23 4th gen, you would need 3 series 28 spline axle version of any posi and it will fit. Doesnt matter if the housing is from a 6 cylinder or 8 the casing from the two is the same, only difference is whether they are 3 channel or 4 channel pertaining to traction control which determines where the sensors are located.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate the help, I'm soakin it all in slowly but surely.
I've bought a 2/series carrier with 3.08 gears to keep shipping costs down. A slight upgrade from my 2.73s, I'm not holdin my breath to notice any difference, just want to get back on the road.

Matt: I'm in Wirral, right next to Liverpool. Would of had to hire a van or a courier as he wanted pick up only for that axle.