Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Should I install my 4.10's in my new 10 bolt? Blew old one

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 12:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I install my 4.10's in my new 10 bolt? Blew old one

I'm having a dillemma. I blew my 10 bolt at the track last weekend on street tires:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...tires-wtf.html

Long story short I have full bolt ons, Spec 3 clutch, BFG street tires and 121K miles. When I bought the car the previous owner included a new set of Richmond 4.10s with the sale that he hadn't had time to install.

I've been constantly talking myself out of getting them installed then talking myself back into it. I hear from a lot of people, including my friends that 4.10's wake a full bolt on car up big time and they're a great mod to do (especially since I already have the gears). On the other hand lots of people on LS1tech say dont even bother putting any money into the 10 bolt. Having seen how easy these little bastards break this is making me nervous.

So heres the deal:
-The car has been down all week and it's my DD so I would like to get it done pretty soon
-One of the rears I'm looking at has 93k out of a 6 speed and the other has 75k out of an auto (3.23's). Does this kind of mileage really matter or should I hold out for a lower mileage rear (not preferred because again its my DD)
-I dont plan on running at the track anymore until I get a good rear, and if I do, I'm just gonna launch like a bitch. However I will probably rip it on the street. I'm most likely gonna run street tires or some Nitto 555r's.
-I've been quoted by a local shop $225 to install the gears provided I bring the 10 bolt to him. Is that reasonable?

So that's where I'm at. At this point I'm probably gonna bite the bullet and get the gears installed. I just figured I'd ask LS1tech one last time!
Old 09-24-2009, 01:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id do it. Im planning on getting some 4.10s soon. I dont have them in my car, but ive driven and rode in a 4.10 geared car and its definately a noticable difference.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Put them in. Dont think you can use them in a 12 bolt so you dont have a choice just use them, have fun, save for 12 bolt. I am too
Old 09-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Do it! I have an M6 car and my buddy had a c6 corvette and i put the 4.10's in and i can go almost a whole week on a tank of gas and it hung well through 4 gears against my buddy's vette, but obviously its a vette his 4th gear wound out then he just pulled hard as i went into 5th. long story short, haha, do it you wont be disappointed i went through your same dilema!
Old 09-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Well, the new 10 bolt is at the shop now getting the 4.10's put in and the getting refreshed (new bearings/seals/etc). Im in the process of pulling the old one now, so we'll see what kind of carnage lies inside. Hopefully the car will be running and driving tonight!