Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Anyone here have a fab 9 with custom watts link?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first picture is of the rear. you can see that there are two bolts. that iswhat the watts bolts to. ( also you can see that i had eric build it with no panhard mount since i was going coil-over and watts. it really cleaned up the rear)

second picture is of the MWC parts. the watts is in the center on the bottom of the picture
Attached Thumbnails Anyone here have a fab 9 with custom watts link?-my-rear.jpg   Anyone here have a fab 9 with custom watts link?-my-rear-parts.jpg  
Old 12-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the bolts supporting the watts link welded on the rear? I already have a MWC backbraced rear and was wondering if I could just bolt up that setup.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

is there going to be more room over the axle tube to run exhaust? i wanted to run duel 3" over the rear but i would have to run a drop pan hard bracket that cost 200$ and doesn't keep the rear centered as well as the stock. Would i be able to use a drag bar from MWC
Old 12-10-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

How is that Wavetrac compared to a Detroit? Other than being twice the price.

Is it that much better?
Old 12-10-2009, 11:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989k1500

Is it that much better?
The wavetrac is supposed to work even better than a truetrac, while being able to handle twice as much power. Also, comes in 35 spline as well so it's suitable for high hp cars whether they be drag or road course.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:01 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike-Z
Are the bolts supporting the watts link welded on the rear? I already have a MWC backbraced rear and was wondering if I could just bolt up that setup.
the brackets that the bolts go through ion the housing are welded, yes. we set that part up at the time of assembly. someone could do it themselves if you have the ability to do the prep and welding.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:06 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1989k1500

Is it that much better?
The Wavetrac diff is a smooth operating preloaded unit versus a Detroit being locked by mechanical male/female teeth and a preload spring. the detroit is locked like a spool until the teeth are forced to slip between eachother. the Wavetrac diff is designed and operates similar to a Truetrac, but is made of far superior materials and carries a lifetime warranty, hence the price.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:09 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by uscg02ws6
is there going to be more room over the axle tube to run exhaust? i wanted to run duel 3" over the rear but i would have to run a drop pan hard bracket that cost 200$ and doesn't keep the rear centered as well as the stock. Would i be able to use a drag bar from MWC

there is much more exhaust room with the watts I have versus any other track locator out there. dual 3 inch should be no problem. the bolt-on tubular chromemoly drag bar we offer will work with the watts, but must be specified when ordering that you will be doing both.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ssvert99
The Wavetrac diff is a smooth operating preloaded unit versus a Detroit being locked by mechanical male/female teeth and a preload spring. the detroit is locked like a spool until the teeth are forced to slip between eachother. the Wavetrac diff is designed and operates similar to a Truetrac, but is made of far superior materials and carries a lifetime warranty, hence the price.
So that Wavetrac would be more gentle on the street basically? And has a badass warranty. So does the Wavetrac work as good as a full detroit?
Old 12-10-2009, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Eric,

what is the price of the watts link? if i substitute that for the pan hard bar i was going to get from you? What is the weight dif of the pan hard vs. the watts ?

thank for the speedy replay to question. It makes me feel much more comfortable making a percuss of more then 3000 dollars with someone that is quick to announcer questions and help customers
Old 12-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by uscg02ws6
Eric,

what is the price of the watts link? if i substitute that for the pan hard bar i was going to get from you? What is the weight dif of the pan hard vs. the watts ?

thank for the speedy replay to question. It makes me feel much more comfortable making a percuss of more then 3000 dollars with someone that is quick to announcer questions and help customers
Erics watts weights 11.69lbs

a build panhard with the stock brace weights around 15lbs
Old 12-21-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump....
Old 12-22-2009, 12:23 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
Erics watts weights 11.69lbs

a build panhard with the stock brace weights around 15lbs

I got about 9 pounds for a mild steel PHB (rod-ended) and the stock PHB brace, fwiw.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I got about 9 pounds for a mild steel PHB (rod-ended) and the stock PHB brace, fwiw.
sam what brand did you use?
Old 12-22-2009, 11:34 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

UMI and a stock brace.... And the stock PHB....
Old 12-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Banned

^^^ cool

Sam. if you wouldnt mind. add this the the puzzel, and see what the wieght comes to. since my watts gives me tons( sorry you dont like that word, lets use. "a lot") of room for the exhuast.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=70&ModelID=8

^^^^ add that in.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Why? That has NOTHING to do with what you originally stated. You said a built (I'd guess you meant home built) PHB and brace was X pounds.

Further, I do not use that part because I will not compromise suspension geometry even further to clear an exhaust. But I'll stroke your ego... That part, complete in a box with the brace and bolts is 9 pounds. Not sure how that's relevant though. It's not stock... There are lots things folks add that add weight. LCA Brackets add weight. Aftermarket TA's weigh more than stock, etc, etc. I looked over you build sheet. If weight was the end-all for you, I'd have thought you would have checked into what you have (or what you are planning on) more. GM Upper control arms are lighter than aftermarket ones. UMI's bars are not hollow, but solid. Mine are hollow and the lightest bars avaiable for the car. And a Fluidampr is more than 3 pounds less (and SFI approved) than the ATI you have on your engine.

I understand wanting to save weight, and where you can I'm all for it. But you seem to be looking at weight with a skewed perspecitive. You want to save it, or claim to save it, but then choose to skip it, or don't investigate all the details other places. And again, your "baselines" aren't solid numbers and/or you are vague about what you are comparing against.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Banned

ok so in your post up above you yell at me for making comments and not asking questions. now i ask questions about an items wait and you have another fit. damned if i do. damned if i dont.

Now to anwser some of your comments about my build.

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Why? That has NOTHING to do with what you originally stated. You said a built (I'd guess you meant home built) (not home built. shop built, track tested.)( PHB and brace was X pounds.

Further, I do not use that part because I will not compromise suspension geometry even further to clear an exhaust. But I'll stroke your ego... That part, complete in a box with the brace and bolts is 9 pounds. Not sure how that's relevant though. It's not stock... There are lots things folks add that add weight. LCA Brackets add weight. Aftermarket TA's weigh more than stock, etc, etc. I looked over you build sheet. If weight was the end-all for you, I'd have thought you would have checked into what you have (or what you are planning on) more. GM Upper control arms are lighter thani think they are the same weight. but GMs arent adjustable. are they. aftermarket ones. UMI's bars are not hollow, but solidyour right. i meant yours. but i will buy them through Ryan.. Mine are hollow and the lightest bars avaiable for the car. And a Fluidampr is more than 3 pounds less (and SFI approved) than the ATI you have on your engine.

I understand wanting to save weight, and where you can I'm all for it. But you seem to be looking at weight with a skewed perspecitive. You want to save it, or claim to save it, but then choose to skip it, or don't investigate all the details other places. And again, your "baselines" aren't solid numbersdo you mean the stock brace and panhard bar comparision. cause when i weighed my stock bar and brace it was 11lbs. and/or you are vague about what you are comparing against.my perspecitive isnt skewed. i just got my way of looking at it. i went from a light ten bolt to a heavy 9". now if i can save a few more punds on the rear i will do it. and with a great Watts setup. i didnt want a panhard bar anymore. i wanted watts. and the fays is heavier than the MWC. and weight a side. the fays WONT work on a back braced 9". and a few guys are having problems with it on a 12 bolt
Old 01-25-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bump for any more pics.. Installed or not..
Old 01-29-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I installed mine a few weeks ago. Looks like the pictured one but he added a couple extra tubes to make it stronger on the frame side. I am having dual 3" exhaust run out the back right now so I will have pics of the whole setup soon.

Quick Reply: Anyone here have a fab 9 with custom watts link?