Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

need help on my 98 trans am

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help on my 98 trans am

hey guys im having some rear end problems with my 98 trans am. for the last few weeks i have noticed a popping sound when i take off slowly from a dead stop, as well as when i slow the car down and nearly stop. the car only starts to make this noise however after it has had a chance to warm up after being driven down the road a little ways. the car has the posi trac rearend as i assume all cars like this do, this one however did come with traction control. i have talked to several friends of mine with similar ls1 cars, and i have got a couple different possible causes. one is that the tcs may be going out, i tend to doubt this seeing as how the car is now only spinning one wheel (the right rear) and i dont see how the traction control going out could cause a popping noise. the other suggestion, is that my positive traction unit has gone out. my question to you guys is 1. is this the probable cause and is there a kit that can be ordered to fix it or does each individual part have to be ordered. and 2. could there be another cause for this noise and my car only spinning one wheel? thanks for taking the time to read this and to respond, i appreciate any and all feedback.