Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

broken u joint

Old 01-04-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default broken u joint

so im merging on the interstate last night in my '00 SS m6 and im taching out second gear and as i shift to third and lay into it BOOM!!! the car is vibrating like hell. I jacked it up just a minute ago to see what happened exactly and the driveshaft is literally about to just fall out. Its crazy cuz i thought the u-joint broke, but taking a closer look, the cap on one end is kinda broken, and the cap on the other end where it bolts up is missing. Ive never seen it break like this before. Anyway, just posting up my misfortune of the night. sorry for the picture quality. i was laying on my back and taking pics with my camera phone.

oh and to top it off i picked up a huge bolt as i coasted off the roads in the emergency lane

Old 01-04-2010, 01:07 PM
12 Second Club

Yep, they do that. Faulty joint and caps, and they wear out as well and do that. I replaced my joins on my V6 once and had one of them do that. Just lucky the DS didnt fall out and tear stuff up.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry to hear man! thats why its never a bad idea to have a driveshaft saftey loop.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:15 AM
12 Second Club

Get solid lakewood u-joints. Do both of them at the same time.

Search this Thread