Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9 in rear end noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moser 9 in rear end noise

So I installed the rear end and left the pinion set to around 1 or 0 and did the break in procedure for the first 500 miles. Recently ive noticed after changing the pinion to -2 that im getting a rubbing sound only on deceleration at highway speeds and when i am making a turn really slowly with out accelerating.

I remember hearing a really low whine when i first put the rear end in but only at around 60 mph. The rear end has around 1500 miles now.

My concern is that the whine that i could barley hear before i changed the pinion turned into a more notable rubbing sound that you can only hear when im decelerating.

Does anyone have any input on what this could be or is this normal with aftermarket rear ends?
Old 01-22-2010, 12:39 AM
Launching!

I had the same problem with a moser rear i installed in a friend of mine's z28... It is not normal for them to make excessively loud noise, and good luck trying to get ahold of anyone at moser about a warranty.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Mine makes a hummin noise at some speeds, but that's just the Gears in the Tru Trac..
Old 01-24-2010, 05:47 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ruble50
So I installed the rear end and left the pinion set to around 1 or 0 and did the break in procedure for the first 500 miles. Recently ive noticed after changing the pinion to -2 that im getting a rubbing sound only on deceleration at highway speeds and when i am making a turn really slowly with out accelerating.

I remember hearing a really low whine when i first put the rear end in but only at around 60 mph. The rear end has around 1500 miles now.

My concern is that the whine that i could barley hear before i changed the pinion turned into a more notable rubbing sound that you can only hear when im decelerating.

Does anyone have any input on what this could be or is this normal with aftermarket rear ends?
I would look to see if the torque arm bracket is rubbing against the floors sheetmetal. It is normal to need to take a prybar and gently pry the sheetmetal away from the torque arm bracket. You just wedge the prybar in there and put pressure on the prybar, it is easy to do. You won't notice where you gave it clearance from inside the car. Bob
Old 02-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

The rubbing sounds like its caused by revolutions not random rubbing so i dont think its the torque arm. I had a shop look at it and the owner thinks it could be either that the pinion depth is not set up correctly or that the pinion angle is off due to the driveshaft being too long ( im using the stock driveshaft).

After changing the pinion angle the second time i remember having the noise change and get a little louder, so im thinking it could be the driveshaft and angle are off.

Any opinions?
Old 02-07-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you need to get the gears set or checked before installing the center section?
Old 02-07-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I now have about 100 miles on my Moser 9" with a Detroit locker. It has a slight humming noise around 50 mph+

Quick Reply: Moser 9 in rear end noise