Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end noise (marbles in a box)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 06:33 PM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine never made a clunking noise. It was more of a "very low-pitched metallic scraping sound". That's the best I know how to describe it.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go out to the car and grab a hold of the wheel, pull back and forth hard chaking the car and if thats the kind of knock you hear then dont worry about it
Old 03-21-2004, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Sorry to bring up a dead post, but this interested me alot. I have a 2000 a4 z28, and whenever I am going into turns, or coming to a stop I here a clicking, sort of snapping noise. I have been alarmed by this for some time, as my GT never did this. It has gotten slightly louder over about 8000 miles put on the car. This noise is inherent to the specific LSD used on these cars huh? My question is, I shouldn't bother having a dealership look at it should I? It sounds like a common noise. My car hasn't really behaved any differently, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it, should I. After all, the less time spent at the dealership the better.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RussStang
Sorry to bring up a dead post, but this interested me alot. I have a 2000 a4 z28, and whenever I am going into turns, or coming to a stop I here a clicking, sort of snapping noise. I have been alarmed by this for some time, as my GT never did this. It has gotten slightly louder over about 8000 miles put on the car. This noise is inherent to the specific LSD used on these cars huh? My question is, I shouldn't bother having a dealership look at it should I? It sounds like a common noise. My car hasn't really behaved any differently, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it, should I. After all, the less time spent at the dealership the better.

how the hell can i get rid of this noise!!! its drivin me nuts!!!
Old 09-14-2004, 04:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pewterta
how the hell can i get rid of this noise!!! its drivin me nuts!!!
Get a twelve bolt!
Old 09-14-2004, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Get a twelve bolt!

hahaha!

if i changed the posi unit.. to an auburn or somthing...would noise go away ya think?
Old 09-14-2004, 05:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by pewterta
hahaha!

if i changed the posi unit.. to an auburn or somthing...would noise go away ya think?
Yes it would, but why put $$ in that POS rear?
Old 11-11-2004, 08:21 PM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

Update, it's been a year since I complained about the "marbles in box" noise - since the dealer fixed it.

However, I've noticed over the past 4 months that I can hear "marbles in the box" *very* slightly once again. But just this past week, I swapped my wheels for snow tires on steel rims. This swap of wheels, it seems, appears to increase the level of rear-end noise within the cabin considerably. Hmm, now I'm thinking back to last year when this noise increased dramatically, and it does seem that the wheel swap made the rear-end noise more noticeable!

Anyway, so now I notice the "marbles in box" more AND an ever so slight "whine" (while accelerating) at ~45mph since the wheel swap. (The whine is very difficult to notice over the Magnaflow exhaust note, but I hear it)

I'm not sure what to do. I still have the extended warranty but I also believe that if I bring it back, doesn't GM warranty repairs for 12 months or 12,000 miles? Either way, I should be covered because I don't abuse my car. (Can't assume that of course but they didn't hassle me the last time) I avoid bringing my car in unless it's something I can't fix, or cost is too high.

I'm betting that if I put my regular Z28 wheels back on I won't notice the rear-end noises that much. But that will wait until March. Has anyone noticed their rear-end noise level's change with wheel/tire swaps?
Old 11-11-2004, 09:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

different tires may change it a little bit ,more so if drastically different sizes
but to have the dealer do it again is a waste my 10 bolt was rebuilt twice the third time it came out for good
got sick of only getting a few months outta them
Old 11-12-2004, 06:02 AM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by badpewter-z
different tires may change it a little bit ,more so if drastically different sizes
but to have the dealer do it again is a waste my 10 bolt was rebuilt twice the third time it came out for good
That's what I was afraid of. Has anyone had their rear rebuilt by dealer and it's still quiet?
Old 11-12-2004, 07:33 AM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by badpewter-z
Honestly, I wish I had the funds to have Slowhawk rebuild it. I know I'm risking rebuilding a stock 10-bolt, but I'd love to have 4.10's installed. I'll never put on sticky tires and/or go to the track. I think if it were built correctly, it would last.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

not worth it in my opinion just keep your eyes open for a used 12bolt or 9"
Old 11-13-2004, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

It's not broken. Live with it.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:06 PM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
It's not broken. Live with it.
I can believe that except for; the specific sound I hear seems to happen going around a bend turning right ~40-50mph, then letting foot off gas or slight pressure - there's a "low metallic pitched scraping" sound that occurs. It's this sound that dealer said was caused by a bearing was siezed against the torsen unit (I believe) last year. It's also this sound that I hear again.

The "marbles" sound I hear happens whenever going around any turn ~20-30mph. This is the sound I'm willing to accept, not the above.

But also note that when I got my car back last year, I heard nothing, zero-no sounds from the rear! Besides the noises however, traction is there via both wheels, so I have no problem with the performance. As long as I have a warranty which covers this, I bring it in.

When things change and I'm willing to purchase/install a better rear, then I'll put all this to rest. But right now this is my daily driver and I have other hobbies to pay for.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:08 PM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

Carrier bearings shot. Just got the call from the Dealer. They will be covering this under their 12 month/12,000 mile warranty, since they just rebuilt the rear last winter. Anyway, should be getting the car back in a couple of days.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SRM
Got my car back. Here's what was replaced for a grand total of ~$2100 including parts, labor and car rental:

12471191 Gear Set
22510042 Bearing
9417784 Bearing
26026792 Seal
12471371 Case
9420095 Bearing
26016661 Gasket
12378261 Gear Oil
1052358 Lubrication

No more "marbles in the box" noise. All this was covered by my extended warranty.
Should have them just cut you a check and used it to get a 12 bolt with a nice set of gears for straight around that price, maybe a few more bucks out of you pocket.....as long as bucks are being spent, might as well get the most bang ! Just a thought, I'm kinda hoping a get a set of marbles in my rearend going on....wait that didn't sound right!!!!
Old 12-01-2004, 02:17 PM
Teching In

i have been to the dealer 3 times about this sound and was told it was normal.
I was advised that synthetic oil+G.M. posi additive would eliminate this. When
i changed the fluid at 20000 mi. everything looked normal inside. After a few days the noise returned but not as loud and has not changed at all. don't worry too much about
this,my car has been to the track at least 7 times with no problems.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine just started making a whining noise. I hear it at certain speeds. Hopefully it's nothing serious but i really don't care now, I've done 2nd gear drops in my cammed car plenty of times and it doesn't seem to make it any worse. I'm getting a new rear soon enough anyways. The only question is Moser or Strange....
Old 12-02-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had mine fixed last week for the same problem it made noise when coasting slowing down and speeding up. The pinion Bearing and inner carrier bearings were hot and my differential had about 1/4in of play side to side. I would have it checked out. It cost me $544 to get it fixed at the local chevy dealer. It's not something you want to live with it will just get worse and eventually eat up your ring gear.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:47 PM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by skewba98z28
Just had mine fixed last week for the same problem it made noise when coasting slowing down and speeding up. The pinion Bearing and inner carrier bearings were hot and my differential had about 1/4in of play side to side. I would have it checked out. It cost me $544 to get it fixed at the local chevy dealer. It's not something you want to live with it will just get worse and eventually eat up your ring gear.
Exactly. When I first heard the "marbles" noise I let it go because I listened to others saying that it's normal. Well, after it became more pronounced and louder, that's when I brought it to the dealer. They found a bearing actually had siezed to the torsen unit - I believe that's what the tech told me.

Once it was fixed, my rear-end made absolutely NO sounds. It was dead quiet.

My second rebuild was due to a faulty pinion bearing. This in turn wrecked the ring and pinion. (Noise in this case was a howl at 45 and whine at 60-70)

It seems to be hit or miss with these rear ends. As long as I don't have to pay for the rebuilds, I'll keep bringing my car back if noises returns.

Quick Reply: rear end noise (marbles in a box)