Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end noise (marbles in a box)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SRM
I brought it to the dealer. They found a bearing actually had siezed to the torsen unit - Once it was fixed, my rear-end made absolutely NO sounds. It was dead quiet.

This is not the noise (marbles in a box) this thread is about. Glad they took care of it for you though.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I have the same issue with my 01 Hawk. It has the 1LE suspension and the Auburn unit. During low speed cornering (parking lot maneuvers for instance) I get a rubbing, grinding, marbles in a box sound. It is embarrassing and I can't imagine it is normal. My 96 Formula never did it. I don't get any howl or whine while moving straight, just during the cornering. Is the rear shot??
Old 12-05-2004, 11:17 AM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by redarrow
I think I have the same issue with my 01 Hawk. It has the 1LE suspension and the Auburn unit. During low speed cornering (parking lot maneuvers for instance) I get a rubbing, grinding, marbles in a box sound. It is embarrassing and I can't imagine it is normal. My 96 Formula never did it. I don't get any howl or whine while moving straight, just during the cornering. Is the rear shot??
Sounds like you do and it's likely the bearings. I would bring it in to have it checked out.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:42 PM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

Picked up my car this morning. So far it sounds ok. The weather is crappy so I really haven't taken my car for a good ride yet.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:58 PM
12 Second Club

I had this noise with my 3.23's and I still have it with my 3.73.
I read somewhere here that this problem is from the zexel torson.
I 've been living wiyh the box of rocks sound for 3 yrs so I don't
think it will hurt anything.
john
Old 12-08-2004, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by john shea
I had this noise with my 3.23's and I still have it with my 3.73.
I read somewhere here that this problem is from the zexel torson.
I 've been living wiyh the box of rocks sound for 3 yrs so I don't
think it will hurt anything.
john
You are right. The worm gears in the Torsen banging against the diff. case. Has nothing to do with bearings.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

I've had the rear completely rebuilt twice in 5 months at two different dealers. The second time they had to replace the axles. The rear still makes some clunking noises, so the dealer had the car for a couple days but couldn't hear it. Both rebuilts were under warranty. The sound the car is making now is exactly the same sound as before. At least I have a extended warranty when my factory warranty runs out, 31k miles now. I wish I had the dough for a 9".
Old 12-10-2004, 06:42 AM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
You are right. The worm gears in the Torsen banging against the diff. case. Has nothing to do with bearings.
I've had the "marbles" sound and "bad bearings" sound and was able to eventually distinquish between the 2, especially when I put on the steel wheels with snow tires on for the winter. (Somehow the steel wheels made my rear-end noises more pronounced)

But I will say this. Ever since my rear has been rebuilt, the marbles sound has never returned. Hmm...
Old 12-10-2004, 06:45 AM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rich Z
I've had the rear completely rebuilt twice in 5 months at two different dealers. The second time they had to replace the axles. The rear still makes some clunking noises, so the dealer had the car for a couple days but couldn't hear it. Both rebuilts were under warranty. The sound the car is making now is exactly the same sound as before. At least I have a extended warranty when my factory warranty runs out, 31k miles now. I wish I had the dough for a 9".
My extended warranty covered my first rebuild, including a rental. But now since it was just rebuilt again, it was covered under GM's 1 year/12,000 mile warranty.

I've had my car for 4 1/2 years. With the exception of the crappy rear-end, it's been extremely reliable. It is my daily driver.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

My Z has been the most unreliable pos car I've ever owned and it to is my daily driver. I had 6 rental cars in the last 7 months. Had to have the top replaced under a Tbs when it was cracking near the passenger seam. Along with just having the rear done I had the car at the dealer this last week for the third time in 5 weeks. This last time was a leaking water pump, bad steering gear and the rearend noise and clutch spring creaking. The front rotors are warped again the fourth time, second set of rotors. The car pings and has kr but that is mostly to blame on the 91 octane fuel in Ca. The mpg has dropped to 13. The rear shocks are bad, tons of wheelhop. The driverside leather seat is cracked. The clutch has stuck many times. The car has tons of creaks, clunks and other noises. Sometimes the car starts slowly. I've had cars with 4 times the mileage and less problems.There are only tow things I like about this car. The looks and power. All but one of the rental cars I've had would I trade for. The 04 silverado was nice. I know I will have to have the rear rebuilt again in probable a month or so which I will them ask for a new rear.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Ok let me start off by saying I've had my 2000 SS A4 for about 8 months now and since I've bought it its had that marble in a bag sound! The car is bone stock with the factory installed Auburn. Mine mostly does it when I'm slowing down from around 20 or so and making left turns. Don't really notice it as much going to the right. Now what I did notice while washing my car one day was all of my centercaps are loose so I took them off to see if the noise was still there and some of the marbles in a bag sound got less noticable but it is still there but not as loud. Don't know if this will help you but it helped me a little bit. Still running without centercaps because I don't know what to do because the centercaps still look good. But I go to the track about twice a month running 8.40's in the 1/8th and 13.0's in the 1/4 with no problems at all. Also my rear doesn't howl at all at any speed and the car has got 48,000 miles on it. But I do still have that marble in a bag sound and I'm not going to stress about it mostly because I would have to pay for it myself to get it fixed. As long as it performs well on the street and at the track I'm not going to tear into it. Also had a NEW Moser 12-bolt in a 2002 Ram Air with eaton posi and 411 gears and it howled bad and had that marbles in a bag sound from day one! Sorry for the long post but letting everyone know about my experience with mine today and the NEW Moser I had in the Ram Air.

Last edited by redNATA; 12-11-2004 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:33 AM
Launching!

haha rich z is right..these cars are pieces of ****. they look good ...but mechnically are too fragile. ive got 33k on mine now..and have replaced rotors,power antenna, headlight switch, 1 cat, vechile speed sensor, 5 fn clutch pedal springs, oh and my riims are all factory chrome and there flaking..... who ever says a vette is the same as a fbody... is full of ****
Old 12-30-2004, 10:17 AM

Hi I need to crash this thread because I believe my friend has a similar problem. However, my friends car is a 97 V6 Camaro. Do the V6 cars have the same rearend as the V8 cars??? If so, the car is making a noise at 45-60mph. It has been steadily getting worse. There is 160K miles on the car. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:13 AM
Launching!

I have the same noise. sounds like marbles, clunking rattling sound at both rear tires. at first i thought it was the LCa's but, I have taken apart my rear ends numerous times and found nothing. all seals were ckecked. I am thinking that it is the emergency brakes that are rattling inside of the disc or the piston. I will be checking this this weekend and get back to all of you.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:03 AM
Launching!

So I have what seems to be the "marbles in a box" noise when I begin to decelerate at speeds over 45-50mph with the torque converter in full lock up. When this happens I hear the ratteling/chattering and feel the car jump back and forth when this happens. Its almost feels like there is slack between the teeth on the ring and pinion gear causing them to bounce back and forth.

What Fran D explained on page two sounds like it would make sense to the cause of my noise, but would I actually feel that or just hear it.

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Is GM paying for it, or are you? I've read a lot of posts on this, because my car does it. Knowledgeable guys basically take the position of Fran D above. It is inherent to the Zexel-Torsen design, as opposed to the Auburn units used on 98 and earlier 4th gen F-bodies. Thus my 94 Formula never made a sound, while the 00 rattles away.
My car is a 98 and I know the rear end in it is rebuilt with 3.73's but I'm not sure if it is a true 98 rear end. If it is the 98 would this mean the marbles in a box noise would be out of the question?
Old 07-18-2011, 05:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ls2SilverBullet
So I have what seems to be the "marbles in a box" noise when I begin to decelerate at speeds over 45-50mph with the torque converter in full lock up. When this happens I hear the ratteling/chattering and feel the car jump back and forth when this happens. Its almost feels like there is slack between the teeth on the ring and pinion gear causing them to bounce back and forth.

What Fran D explained on page two sounds like it would make sense to the cause of my noise, but would I actually feel that or just hear it.

My car is a 98 and I know the rear end in it is rebuilt with 3.73's but I'm not sure if it is a true 98 rear end. If it is the 98 would this mean the marbles in a box noise would be out of the question?
Didn't 98s get the Auburn differential? If so you would not get this issue.
Mine had marbles noise day one. Never felt anything, just heard it. After this many years though, could be possible. I wouldn't know anymore as I swapped the whole rear out about 8 years ago.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been living with this little noise for the last 3 yrs in my auto, it sure hasn't got anyworse...I can't understand why GM installed a hidden box with marbles inside..somewhere in our already week 10bolts...hmmm??^#@!)*

Quick Reply: rear end noise (marbles in a box)