Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Should I pull the Detroit Locker ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Should I pull the Detroit Locker ?

I have a 01' with a M6

It has the Moser 12 Bolt with a Detroit lock that ofcoarse clunks and moans and is a PITA on he street. I plan on running M/T streets this summer on the street and will not be taking this car to the track, because I have Chevelle for that

Would a Eaton Posi be OK for the street with Bias ply ET streets and around 500HP (hopefully once I get the L92's installed and get a better tune)

Or will I just fry a Eaton Posi

I looked on summit and could not find the Eaton HD Posi for the 12 bolt with 33 spline moser axels, any help locating one? I assume I would want the HD with the carbon discs and 800 lb springs.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by adrynalinjunkie
I have a 01' with a M6

It has the Moser 12 Bolt with a Detroit lock that ofcoarse clunks and moans and is a PITA on he street. I plan on running M/T streets this summer on the street and will not be taking this car to the track, because I have Chevelle for that

Would a Eaton Posi be OK for the street with Bias ply ET streets and around 500HP (hopefully once I get the L92's installed and get a better tune)

Or will I just fry a Eaton Posi

I looked on summit and could not find the Eaton HD Posi for the 12 bolt with 33 spline moser axels, any help locating one? I assume I would want the HD with the carbon discs and 800 lb springs.
i run a detroit locker on the street/track and have no clunking or other issues.but mine is in a strange s-60.i would be careful with posi good traction at track can kill it.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

Maybe I will just check the contact pattern on these gears and spin the axles in my buddies lathe to check for out of round. I am going to try to keep this off the track, I would only get one pass anyway

I must say the Locker in my D60 in the Velle doesn't sound like this.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

the locker in my 9" is noisy as hell. pops, bangs, chatters, and once in a while i get a loud *** bang like something broke. it's been in the car since 2004 and has only seen 2 oil changes. yea its noisy and a pain at times but ya can't beat the reliability.

i say hang in there you'll get used to it. especially if u decide later to really throw big power to it.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sprayed 99
the locker in my 9" is noisy as hell. pops, bangs, chatters, and once in a while i get a loud *** bang like something broke. it's been in the car since 2004 and has only seen 2 oil changes. yea its noisy and a pain at times but ya can't beat the reliability.

i say hang in there you'll get used to it. especially if u decide later to really throw big power to it.
OK that makes me feel better, this one is paid for too!

It does have a almost a out of balance noise that sounds like something is out of round when i am coasting to a stop in Nutral do you ever hear anything like that?

These Rotors need turned that could be some of it as well.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

I would not trade my locker for " a gold monkey ", would not be without one.
I am ranning this locker in the DD/ 10 bolt /A4/4k yank stall for last 4 years, and have very little noise in tight turns, but I make a point of not "spinning" around tight turns .
IF going to run from a dig I back up several feet and then pull forward in a stright line several feet to insure the locker is locked.
Back in ' 60s we ran a locker for 5-6 years in a DD/strip/street 427 mustang, now I have
a 9"/4.11/locker laying in my shop ready to go if the 10 bolt goes.
With the above said I liikkkeeeeeeee lockers.
just my .02' Johnny
Old 02-16-2010, 10:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by adrynalinjunkie
OK that makes me feel better, this one is paid for too!

It does have a almost a out of balance noise that sounds like something is out of round when i am coasting to a stop in Nutral do you ever hear anything like that?

These Rotors need turned that could be some of it as well.
dont have that noise. then again i see that lockers seem to all have their own "personalities". my buddie has same set up as mine and his seems to be a tad quieter.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just put one in my car (ford 9") Too early to tell if I can live with it. If you plan on adding big power, you might have to deal with it.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

hmmmmmmmmm
i almost got a locker over my spool.

i didnt realize they can be just as annoying as the spool.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a locker for about 4 weeks now and it does make noise... It seems to make the most noise when I put it in Drive from Park. It makes a huge clunk sound.

Though I know it is gonna last and know that both damn wheels are turning!

Some say they suck going around corners, though I have not experienced anything weird yet.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just brought one for my S60 to replace the true trac, nothing wrong with the true trac but I've had Detroit lockers in my other cars and I love the strength and reliability. One thing with a locker, just make sure that you don't ever run mismatched sized rear tires because the locker will constantly lock and unlock which will cause damage.

Quick Reply: Should I pull the Detroit Locker ?