Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Repeat noise issue with Auburn, Yukon diff?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 12:26 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
RPM WS6, honest question here: How long ago was the last unit you installed that worked well for you? I, along with others have chosen the high bias units based on glowing reviews for autocross/road course use from people who have used that unit for years. However, none of us can get the newer units to last before they fail. I'm seriously wondering if Auburn's quality has gone downhill within the last few years. Could be a situation like some have experienced with the Torsen T2R, the high bias unit. They used to be considered the best for handling applications, and I know somewhere along the line they switched to a lesser quality material, and people started breaking cases as they became very fragile.

I still think the cone clutches in a 7.5 ten bolt unit are too small to handle the power an average LS engine makes. But that's more the fault of GM putting such and undersized rear in these cars.
You might be correct about the newer units, mine are old. The high bias unit in my current '71 is at least ~15 years/many thousands of miles old, and it has seen its share of aggressive use during that time. But that's in an 8.5" rear. I have never owned one of their aftermarket 7.5/7.625" versions.

The stock Auburn in my '98 is still perfect after 18 years of spirited usage, but it's also very low mileage. I've always been careful to stick with the recommended 80w90 conventional lube. I've known quite a few others with early 4th gens that didn't have any premature issues with their Auburns, including ones who weren't easy on them.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

FWIW ,, Yukon is a mainline distributor of many vendors gear parts, they have gradually been adding their own products. Most 4x4 shops out here use them as a supplier..

There is also the e-locker that a lot of wheelers use, or the ARB then you get the best of both worlds..

Quick Reply: Repeat noise issue with Auburn, Yukon diff?